wicainventory. exe causes high CPU usage

Anonymous
2014-05-17T23:22:50+00:00

I need a solution to the problem that I have with my computer accusing a VERY HIGH CPU usage by the file system WICAINVENTORY.EXE.   NO information or solution available (if any) in the Microsoft support area nor community.  This was installed in April as an automatic update, since then I have observed the cooling system (fan) starting very frequently and at high speed.

For your reference:

wicainventory.exe                       installed version 6.3.9600.17057

operative system                        windows7 home premium with service pack1 installed.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-07-04T17:13:47+00:00

After an extensive Web search, I discovered that Wicainventory is installed as part of the "Recommended" Win7 update KB2952664

Microsoft's Knowledge Base article for that update lists the files involved but does not say what it does, other than it is a  "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7"

Some of its files are dated mid-April, 2014, and it was installed on my system in late April.

Of course, many of us are not in the least interested in upgrading Windows 7 to any currently offered alternative.

For instructions on uninstalling Windows updates, see

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

Uninstalling it from my system did not require a reboot, but supposedly it'll be offered every time updates are available.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-26T05:37:14+00:00

    I have Win 7x64, I couldn't find KB2952664 any where. Is it under another name?  And has anyone actually done a registry scan and manually deleted wicainventory. exe?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-06-16T10:34:05+00:00

    Hi All,

    I discovered that Wcainventory.exe is related to the "Application Experience" service.

    I have disabled it from Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Services and now wcainventory.exe doesn't start any more.

    Crossed fingers for the next Windows Updates...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-01T11:56:51+00:00

    This is very tenacious!

    Tried all of the above.

    My PC is set to manual Updates. Set KB2952664 to hidden.

    Having uninstalled the KB2952664 update, rebooted and it's re-installed itself even though set to not to. There doesn't seem to be a way of stopping MS Update from re-installing it.

    I suppose I'll have to manually delete all the wicainventory files.

    Any further thoughts anyone as I really do need to do some work.

    I think I'll report it as a virus to all the Antivirus companies and see if they can ban it. Might make MS sit up and take notice but, then again, they've become to big to care.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-21T00:03:58+00:00

    Hi Vincentfra,

    Wicainventory.exe is a type of EXE file associated with Windows 8 Pro. EXE ("executable") files, such as wicainventory.exe, are files that contain step-by-step instructions that a computer follows to carry out a function. When you "double-click" an EXE file, your computer automatically executes these instructions designed by a software developer (eg. Microsoft) to run a program (eg. Windows 8 Pro) on your PC.

    EXE errors, such as those associated with wicainventory.exe, most often occur during computer startup, program startup, or while trying to use a specific function in your program. I would suggest you to place the computer in **clean boot** to check if any third party application is causing the issue, as clean boot helps in eliminating software conflicts.

    Note: After troubleshooting, see the section “Reset the computer to start as usual” to return the computer to a Normal startup mode.

    Keep us posted.

    This is a typical Microsoft answer: you are where you are.

    The guy is good at copy-paste.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments