wicainventory. exe causes high CPU usage

Anonymous
2014-05-17T23:22:50+00:00

I need a solution to the problem that I have with my computer accusing a VERY HIGH CPU usage by the file system WICAINVENTORY.EXE.   NO information or solution available (if any) in the Microsoft support area nor community.  This was installed in April as an automatic update, since then I have observed the cooling system (fan) starting very frequently and at high speed.

For your reference:

wicainventory.exe                       installed version 6.3.9600.17057

operative system                        windows7 home premium with service pack1 installed.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-07-04T17:13:47+00:00

After an extensive Web search, I discovered that Wicainventory is installed as part of the "Recommended" Win7 update KB2952664

Microsoft's Knowledge Base article for that update lists the files involved but does not say what it does, other than it is a  "Compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7"

Some of its files are dated mid-April, 2014, and it was installed on my system in late April.

Of course, many of us are not in the least interested in upgrading Windows 7 to any currently offered alternative.

For instructions on uninstalling Windows updates, see

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/remove-update#1TC=windows-7

Uninstalling it from my system did not require a reboot, but supposedly it'll be offered every time updates are available.

Was this answer helpful?

8 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-18T00:05:04+00:00

    I have tried deleting  wicainventory but cannot- it requires "special" permission.  I can end its function in the task manager with no ill effects.  I do not like a program running with no known function that cannot be deleted.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-12T22:22:18+00:00

    Hello,

    May I ask whether you mind elaborating on your remark about not being the least interested in upgrading Windows 7? Did you mean the operating system, or did you mean you do not install Windows updates when they become available?

    Thanks,

    Aleksandra

    I think you misunderstood my earlier post, Aleksandra...  I am running Win 7 right now - I have absolutely NO desire to "upgrade" to >8<.

    With regard to the suggestion to "mount NTFS into Linux" and delete from there..... I've had absolutely NO experience with Linux at all.  But it looks like it's time for me to take an old desktop, wipe it clean, load Linux, and start learning.

    I've heard that Windows 10 is "promising" but, given Microsoft's undying efforts to control every aspect of our computing lives, I think it's time to explore other alternatives.  I've also complained for years about their pricing policies/structure. This may just be the straw that breaks this camel's back.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-12T18:07:30+00:00

    Hello,

    May I ask whether you mind elaborating on your remark about not being the least interested in upgrading Windows 7? Did you mean the operating system, or did you mean you do not install Windows updates when they become available?

    Thanks,

    Aleksandra

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-10T23:50:24+00:00

    wicainventory.exe is completely insane. No matter what you do, it allocates 100% HDD and even one windows explorer window takes way over a minute to open.

    There is solution, namely that you mount the NTFS in linux, remove the file, the whole directory or just generate a dummy exe with the same checksum (what will segfault and cannot run, no matter what TrustedInstaller tries to start).

    Microsoft is very unresponsive on this issue, they are just ignoring the complaint - it is my electricity, it is my processor, and I do not want this wicked inventory to lock me out from my computer while I would like to play. That is all. It is incredibly annoying that you are in a raid zone for three hours and then you fight the final boss and your computer does not respond anymore and you have to look for task manager while tanking and the whole raid gets killed.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments