Inability to Uninstall Windows.NET Framework 4.5 and Other Versions

Anonymous
2014-02-08T04:20:02+00:00

My current OS is Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Recently I have been coming across a Windows error that states this: "The application was unable to start correctly (0cx0000135). Click OK to close the application." This error occurs for a variety of applications, such as GeForce Experience.

Another error that has occured is the inability for any application to start up at all. While 0cx0000135 error wasn't happening too often, this error of a program telling me that it is about to start then not doing anything is popping up fairly often, like for XSplit. I have XSplit on my taskbar and I click it and it begins to start up, but then it suddenly just stops. And this has been going on for MANY applications.

I'm not getting any errors with my system aside from those two, and everything that I have looked up about the application error leads me to believe that my Windows.NET is not functioning properly. Many sites recommend un-installing it and then re-installing it, which I have found myself incapable of doing because it doesn't appear in the "Programs and Features" part of my "Control Panel". I've tried deleting the files of c:/Windows/Microsoft.NET and that didn't work because many of those files could only be modified by the "TrustedInstaller", even after attempts to change the capabilities of the users.

Also, I believe that I have version 4.0 or version 4.5 at the latest (even though I honestly can't tell), but when I attempt to download 4.5.1, it tells me that I can't, even though I believe that I do not have version 4.5.1.

So I would like to know what I can do to uninstall the program safely and then re-install it.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-02-21T11:36:56+00:00

After all this I am still running into issues even though I thought everything was fixed and I've tried most everything I have found, though not everything. All I can say is that I've pretty much come up with the fact that it is the .NET Framework that comes with my OS that is malfunctional. I ran the methods listed here as well: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976982 on top of doing everything that was listed in this thread.

So I am still left with the question if there is any definite way I can un-install my current Framework from my OS even though it came with Windows 8. Or perhaps there are some Windows 8.1 clean-up tools that are available or something like that.

I have managed to get a few things working, though, and I made sure that I fixed that CNBJ2530.DPB" of prncacla.inf issue because the sfc/ scannow command tells me that there are no issues, but I did not make another text document to see the results. One thing I got working was GeForce Experience all though it doesn't run as fast as it should. I start it up and it takes 20+ seconds to start, followed by a " unable to connect to nvidia try again later" message, followed by the program starting up. But I should be able to download drivers in the program and I can't because it keeps telling me to check internet connections, but I can download drivers from NVIDIA's site perfectly fine.

Apples....

Is it a PC or a laptop?

If it's a laptop, you cannot uninstall 8.1 which would be the only way to remove .NET 4.5.1 since the latter is only installed when you upgrade to Microsoft's latest incarnation of Windows.

And I've just read that the8.1 upgrade destroys the manufacturer's Recovery partition so that you can no longer use it to revert to Windows 8.0

If it's a PC and you have an installation disc, then you can reinstall Windows 8.0 again , sort out your .NET problem  and then upgrade to 8.1 again. The latter will include .NET 4.5.1 of course and might place you back in the same boat you find yourself in now.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

42 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-03-01T23:12:29+00:00

    Sure,no problem Apples. 

    By the way, a lot of old games which are for sale in the Windows store can be had for free here: http://apkshapphire.blogspot.nl/2013/11/gta-san-andreas.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-03-01T20:40:01+00:00

    Welp. Everything seems to be good now.

    Thanks for all your help, dude. Although I hope I never have an OS issue again, I hope that, if I do, you're the guy to help me out.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments