Your first tip was helpful. Thank you!
Windows Location Provider not working in Win 8.1
Hello everyone,
I recently upgraded to Win 8.1 just a week ago. However under Device Manager, I'm seeing warning symbol against the Windows Location provider. It says it is not working. I tried to update the driver, but it says its already up to date. I tried using Here Maps and couple of other apps which use location services, but my location is not correctly determined.
Earlier in windows 8 it used to run perfectly with accurate location. Please help me with this issue. How do I resolve it ?
Any help appreciated.. Thanks..
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Apps
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-06-10T11:19:42+00:00 -
Anonymous
2014-05-19T21:26:07+00:00 Hi,
Thank you for the information.
We appreciate your feedback.
-
Anonymous
2014-05-18T12:35:09+00:00 Sure, I agree, let me explain myself better: since I had just installed the manufacturer's latest driver, why was it then necessary to manually uninstall the Windows "WLP device" (which I am quite sure is just a thin configuration placeholder for some Windows middleware) and then tell Windows to refresh? Especially since Windows knew something was wrong with WLP. Windows should be able to figure this out automatically.
But, well, this is not really a support question, this is more of a RFE for the Windows dev team.
-
Anonymous
2014-05-18T01:21:41+00:00 Hi,
Thank you for sharing your experience.
As the Windows Location Provider requires drivers from the manufacturer, Windows won’t install the drivers without the user intervention.
Sorry for the inconvenience caused.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have further questions on Windows. We will be glad to assist you.
-
Anonymous
2014-05-16T23:41:38+00:00 Just for everybody's info and future reference:
Just had similar problems with a Lenovo T440s running Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit (with Update 1) which contains an Ericsson N5321gw chip (WAN + GPS). Geolocation was not working at all and the Event Viewer had "internal errors" for the Ericsson chip.
Once I eventually sorted these latter out by installing more recent drivers (Ericsson redistributed by Lenovo, v. 8.1.3), I ran into this thread's problem with "Windows Location Provider" displaying a yellow warning in Device Manager and geolocation still not working.
For my machine, it was enough to go to Device Manager, pick the problematic Windows Location Provider item, select Uninstall as suggested in this thread, and right away do a "Scan for Hardware Changes" in Device Manager, which reinstalled the WLP driver on the fly and this time without yellow badges. That actually worked fine without even rebooting.
(Why Windows is not able to fix this problem without user intervention, on the other hand, is beyond me).