options running XP on newer PCs?

Anonymous
2013-11-14T01:28:25+00:00

My 2005 Dell desktop running XP is having issues, and I'm thinking about a newer PC but want to run XP. I dont have the install discs (it's stored on the PC), so I would have to get those - XP PRO seems to be required if you want to run Windows Virtual PC on Win7/8... unless other brands of  Virtual programs will run earlier XP versions?

So I'm wondering what's the best way to run XP on newer PCs that typically have Win7 or 8 pre-installed. I'd prefer not wipe out the original OS, even though they take up space. I would imagine it would work best on a separate partition...? I dont want to get into a 2nd HDD.

I've read that there wont be XP drivers for newer PCs, so compatibility sounds like an issue.

Here's my questions and exploration of the options. Brief answers (yes, no, wrong, etc) would be helpful since I won't understand too detailed explanations.

Does XP work better in 1) XP Mode, 2) as a Virtual PC, or 3) on separate partition?

The advantage of the first is you dont need XP install discs, and it seems to be easily accessible. Disadvantage is you dont get the XP appearance, and it's only available on Win7 Pro and up.

The advantage of Windows Virtual PC is you can load XP (Pro only) on Win7 Home and up (unlike XP Mode that requires Win7 Pro), BUT you need the XP Pro install discs.

Can you use another brand Virtual PC on Win7 or 8 and use any XP version instead of XP Pro?

Advantage of separate partitions is you are actually running XP and getting XP window, rather than Virtual version. Can you load ANY XP version? Is this faster than using XP in Virtual PC?

Disadvantage is you have to install programs twice if you want both OS to use it.

Major disadvantage is it seems XP cannot be installed on pre-loaded Win7 or Win8.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/install-more-than-one-operating-system-multiboot

I noticed that Win7, and programs in general, work really fast on my 2011 PC (6 RAM, Intel i5). Is that because of the hardware or OS, or both? Would XP work almost as fast?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

45 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T14:36:36+00:00

    Looks good so far.

    Programs, by default go to c:\Program Files, which is on the same drive/partition as the OS. Usually there's an option for a custom install which will let you change the location the program is installed to.  Where you have the installer files located really doesn't matter - they're generally set up to put the program in the Program Files folder.

    Your next step is to create your virtual machine. Only install programs in Windows 7 in you want them accessible to Win 7. In your case, that's probably just Virtualbox. Programs you want to run in Windows XP should be installed in the Windows XP virtual machine

    • that's why I'm saying to give it plenty of space.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-09T14:19:01+00:00

    well, I think I did it correctly. Deleted partitions so there was just one large unallocated entry, created a partition, which I think also generated a small reserve space of 100 MB (I've already forgotten). Since the tutorial indicated the OS had to go on an unallocated area, I extended the 100 MB into 200 Gb, and installed there. I'm attaching a pic. I was confused because I thought the OS would load to an existing partition.

    I misunderstood what the Drivers/Utilities  disc was telling me, and had to call Dell, who helped with installing the latest drivers. Now if I could only get the desktop to look and behave like XP like I had it before...

    I'll try this anyway, but if you have a program stored on the data side, and go to install it, does it automatically get loaded into the OS, or do I need to drag the program onto the OS partition?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-08T15:38:58+00:00

    1 GB would work fine for XP, but there's no harm in giving it more. XP 32 bit can use up to around 3 GB, and that's the most I'd allocate. It's isn't recommended to use more than half your system RAM for a virtual machine. The memory used by the virtual machine Is just in use, like with any other program, and is therefore pretty much unavailable to the host OS. Once you shut down the VM, all 6 GB are open to use by 7 again. So it's not quite like partitioning, since it isn't permanent.

    In your case, since you probably won't be running other programs in 7 besides the XP machine, you might possibly get away with allocating more memory, but since XP can only use about 3 Gigs, there wouldn't be any real benefit. I'd stick with 2 or 3.

    Don't pay the $130 just for help partitioning. The Windows 7 installer is easy to use. I think it does default to one partition, but you can adjust that easily. Just keep up with the research, and read the screens very carefully and you'll do fine.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-07T18:01:17+00:00

    I more-or-less backed up my data. I've read I also need to specify how much RAM a virtual machine will use. It sounds like partitioning - that the RAM will be inaccessible to the rest of the OS. Is this true? How much should I allocate - 1 gb? I have 6 gb.

    I phoned DELL to walk me thru the process, and while they will help to reinstall the OS, they would charge $129 to help with the partition, which they felt should be done at the same time (I thought the partition could be made afterwards). So I havent done anything yet. :(

    seems easy enough:

    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1649-clean-install-windows-7-a.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2013-12-06T15:48:20+00:00

    You could think of it that way, but ultimately it's just a file on your hard drive, rather than a separate partition. It's a file that houses your client (virtual) OS and to that OS it looks like a hard drive. But ultimately it's just a big file that can be moved and copied and backed up like any other file.

    To Windows XP, the client OS running in the virtual machine, it's a hard drive. To Windows 7, the main OS on the physical computer, it's a big file.

    When you create the virtual machine, you're set the size of the virtual hard drive your client OS uses. What you're really doing is making a special file that is that size, which acts as the hard drive for the client OS.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments