I have found the problem. You probably all have AVG 2014 as your antivirus. Somehow it identified Windows audio files as a virus and settle them on quarantaine. Go to AVG>>Virus Vault and restore the files. Answer yes to all replacements.
No Sound with error message 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. Also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray.
Original Title: Windows 8 - No Sound
HP ProBook 6455b Windows 8
Hello, the sound on my laptop stopped working suddenly, never had any issues before. Looked into services.mcs and see that windows audio service is stopped. When I try to start it I get a dialog box stating 'Error code 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate'. There's also a red x over the sound icon on the icon tray. Checked for drivers, all working properly and updated, so it says.. Can anyone please help :(
Thank you.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-10-05T20:52:27+00:00 You are not alone, I did the same thing. Please help
-
Anonymous
2014-09-29T16:38:17+00:00 Thank you very much for your post....After a long drawn out battle because of the disruption the missing files were causing (a really slow-running computer), finally, using your method, it worked a treat....Very grateful :)
-
Anonymous
2014-09-28T10:39:07+00:00 even after replacing the threats no diff
-
Anonymous
2014-09-18T00:16:26+00:00 Thanks a lot dude it worked! I was a bit scared last night when i tried to do a system recovery and it couldn't even do that because it was corrupted. Gotta be more aware of what AVG does from now on. Once again Thank you!