Windows 8.1 Update - 'A TCG Command has returned an error' - Automatic Encryption Involved?

Anonymous
2014-05-18T21:14:09+00:00

I've got a desktop system which has been showing error messages in the Event Viewer ever since the upgrade to Windows 8.1 Update.  It's an error in EnhancedStorage-EhStorTcgDrv that says "A TCG Command has returned an error".  The error is with the "AuthenticateSession" command.

Doing a bunch of research shows that this error involves SSD encryption.  However, this is for a gaming PC with no personal information on it.  There's no need for Bitlocker or anything of that sort on it.  So I'm not entirely sure why it's sending that command in the first place other than if it's using the "Opal" / Microsoft eDrive spec for automatic encryption. The SSD I'm using (Plextor PX-M5M) does fully support the Opal specification, but I do not have a TPM, and as this is a desktop PC it doesn't support Connected Standby, two features that previously were requirements for automatic encryption on Windows 8.1.  Did something change with regards to these requirements in Windows 8.1 Update? 

I guess the really important question is... is this actually a message I should be worried about?  It's listed in Event Viewer as critical.  Can it just be ignored instead?

For what it's worth, my first thought was actually that the SSD or the mSATA slot it is installed in were the cause.  However, both of those have been swapped out as part of my troubleshooting, and that hasn't solved anything.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-05-22T10:34:16+00:00

Hello,

Thank you for your response.

Did you try performing clean boot?

Sometimes, "A TCG Command has returned an error" message appears because the device encryption is turned on.

I would suggest you to turn off the device encryption and check if it helps. Device encryption is turned on by default. Please use these steps.

a. If you have performed a clean install of Windows 8.1, device encryption is turned on by default. If you have upgraded a previous Windows installation to Windows 8.1, you can turn device encryption on by using PC info.

b. To open PC info, swipe in from the right edge of the screen, tap "Settings", and then tap "Change PC settings". (If you're using a mouse, point to the upper-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer down, click "Settings", and then click "Change PC settings".)

c. Tap or click "PC & devices", and then tap or click "PC info". The "Device Encryption" section appears at the bottom of the PC info page.

d. In the "Device Encryption" section, select "Turn On".

To opt out of automatic device encryption:

If you do not want the devices you are deploying to be automatically protected with device encryption, you can configure the unattend file to enforce the following registry setting:

• Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BitLocker

• Value: PreventDeviceEncryption equal to True (1)

• Type: REG_DWORD

Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

For reference:

What's New in BitLocker for Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012 R2

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn306081.aspx

I hope this information helps.

Thank you

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-12-19T10:09:03+00:00

    Hello Mbulger,

    Thank you for the reply.

    Please keep us updated on the status of the issue after using the steps which you have not tried.

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-19T09:48:37+00:00

    take note that people report that the Intel RST driver does not support eDrive.  The basic Intel SATA AHCI chipset drivers do though.

    I see these errors whether running bitlocker or not.  Both with MS and intel chipset SATA controller drivers.  My win2012R2 server doesnt reboot though and i only get one errorlog on system boot.

    Best bet would be to post on crucials forums too, as it seems specific to crucial drives.  My guess would be some sort of eDrive functionality check.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-19T09:03:56+00:00

    I saw the May 22 reply and looked for the Device Encryption section but I didn't have one.  I haven't tried the registry edit yet.

    One thing I spoke too soon about was LM-atl's suggestion.  My Device Manager said "Intel 9 Series Chipset Family SATA AHCI Controller" but digging deeper, the driver was dated 2006 and was listed as provided by Microsoft.  I went to the Intel site and got their latest Rapid Storage Technology(RST) driver and installed that.  That updated my IDE ATA/ATAPI controller to Intel with a July 2014 date.  I'll see if that makes a difference.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-19T06:49:34+00:00

    Hello LM and Mbulger,

    Thank you for your responses.

    LM, I hope that your suggestions may other community members to resolve similar issues.

    Mbulger, Did you try using suggestions in my response on May 22, 2014?

    Please use those suggestions and check the issue.

    Note: Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

    http://support2.microsoft.com/kb/322756

    Thank you

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments