OK, I have had this problem on 2 Acer V5's but my solution may just work for you.
Basically you NEED to run CHKDSK. Unfortunately its impossible to do this with a Windows 8 installation that wont boot past "No bootable device" or "You need to repair your PC" and the F8 option does nothing or takes you to the next menu but none of those
options work.
For your consideration I have two options to try.
First go into your BIOS, F2, and make sure you see your HDD. If its not there you might as well stop as your HDD is damaged and needs to be replaced.
Next follow Amit K Verma's guide and create Windows 8 installation
media (USB) set PC to boot from USB and boot up. Set your options, click next, and at the bottom of the next window look for repair. You should see an option to the right for command prompt. Click it and type
chkdsk /f C: and hit enter. This can take awhile to run depending on the errors or/and size of your HDD. When it is done type
EXIT. You will go back to the repair options. Select to start windows. This will probably fail. But with Ctrl-Alt-Del to reboot and you should now have the auto repair start. At this point you will ether boot or get a working option to
restore.
The other thing you can do, which I take no responsibility for, you will need to remove your HDD. Stop here if you have no skills to do this as you will only make it worse. But if you are adventurous you may be able to find a teardown for your laptop/netbook
on Youtube. Both my V5's have teardown guides there.
I then connected my Windows 8.1 HDD to my Windows 7 tower PC (you know for power users; games and the like) If you or a friend don't have one then I cant help you further. Why did I do this? Because Seagate has no option to use Disk Wizard from a bootable
USB for W 8.1 to use its DOS mode repair and I thought I would try to repair the HDD first with the help of my W7 pc before I reformatted the drive and found out that the HDD was bad and to not waste my time. Its odd that Seagate has no option for a W8 bootable
USB for DOS disk repair but still offers a "floppy" option.
Make sure that in your W7 PC boots from its Main HDD first and that it can see your W8 HDD and set it as the second boot device.
Now in my case it took about 15 mins. with a black screen at startup then it told me that one of my HDD's needed to be checked for consistency, it was the W8 HDD. Make sure it only checks the area of the disk where the OS is installed. In my case it was
Acer C:. It will try to check all partitions just skip till you get to the OS. In my case it came up first and the others after which you will see the option to skip.
After that I popped it back into my V5 and now the auto repair runs and the PC boots!
Take note that if you have a V5 like mine there is no HDD lite and while it restores it just shows the Acer logo. It is working so let it run. You can hold your ear to the PC and hear the HDD spinning.
UPDATE
I just repaired another V5 that I could not repair using the W8 USB repair/install. It is similar to the method above but this time after attaching the HDD to my W7 PC it just booted right up into OS W7 but then installed the driver for the V5 HDD (this
time it was a WD HDD)
and asked for a reboot. After rebooting I selected the HDD with W8.1. All files were there and I could access all my documents. So to fix I selected the HDD with Properties, Tools, Error Checking and let it run. I did see a few errors listed
and the report said that all were fixed. Shut down my PC and put the HDD back into the V5 and right away the V5 Acer logo came up with the spinner for a few mins and I was back in business.
I cant explain why this has worked twice for me or why I couldn't repair this netbook with the repair USB or why W7 did repair it. I tried countless times to run the error check from the USB and tried to reset back to save point, when I could even get to
that menu, and failed each time. But it worked so if you are having this problem I would highly suggest you try my method before reinstalling W8. If your like me you don't have a OEM install disk or a Key for W8 you have nothing to lose.