How to uninstall LogMeIn Rescue RC after MS tech support session

Anonymous
2014-05-10T21:48:41+00:00

After an arduous but successful tech support session repairing corrupted 8.1 updates LogMeIn Rescue RC remains on my computer. Of course it is not listed in add/remove programs. In hindsight I should have asked the tech to clean up after himself. This also resulted in a multitude of 3rd party software services being diasbled including my firewall of which I have no reference as to their proper setting but one problem at a time.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

49 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2017-11-14T20:42:52+00:00

    Hi sammoss. Yes, I did see a listing in Services. I saw this:

    LogMeIn Rescue (a9b3cc8-91db-61c9-de32-90b76c78b865)

    Then I tried to follow your instructions (thank you), but may have got something wrong.

    Then I followed the steps below. Not all entries were there as I'd deleted some LogMeIn applets etc already. BUT 

    LogMeIn Rescue (a9b3cc8-91db-61c9-de32-90b76c78b865) was there. Then I followed the instructions below (after this) and point (7) step for this HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run 

    removed the string.

    I hope that's the end. I'm scared the technician has inadvertently downloaded stuff onto my computer. This site and others say hacking can piggyback on innocent interactions through LogMeIn Rescue. He wanted another LogMeIn session today, but I'm too scared to allow this. I'll live with the Outlook email issue. I've had a sleepless night out of fear of this.

    Steps mentioned above are this:

    1. Terminate the LogMeIn services running on the computer. To do this, open the Task Manager and terminate any and all instances of the following:
      • LMIGuardian.exe
      • LogMeIn.exe
      • LogMeInSystray.exe
      • ramaint.exe
    2. Navigate to Program Files (x86) and delete the LogMeIn Folder
    3. Open the Run prompt and type regedit
    4. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and delete the LogMeIn folder
    5. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software and delete the LogMeIn folder
    6. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\Current Control Set\Services and delete the following:
      • LMIInfo
      • LMIMaint
      • LMImirr
      • LMIRfsClientNP
      • LMIRfsDriver
      • LogMeIn
    7. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run and delete the LogMeIn GUI string value
    8. Reboot the computer.

    Thank you sammoss.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-08-12T06:50:04+00:00

    Well That's not true.  You will find a folder with a DLL on your windows X86 directory & at least 3 or more entries in regedit

    and and automatically started service : LMIRescue_a82c28fe-782c-c255-e48a-3b1819cf7412

    that is subsequently causing errors in the event log:

    The LMIRescue_a82c28fe-782c-c255-e48a-3b1819cf7412 service failed to start due to the following error: 

    The system cannot find the file specified.

    But I just saw that this was addressed by sammoss replied on April 24, 2017

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-01-31T05:03:43+00:00

    /sarc on

    That is why I have TWO different instances of it running as a service on my server. Please don't post until you know what you are posting about. Your post was useless. I want to know how to remove this crap leftover form useless MS support sessions. Both of which , by the way, did NOT fix the reason they install the LMI Rescue to begin with.

    /sarc off

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2016-03-23T00:33:16+00:00

    I recently had microsoft remotely solve a problem and then i couldn't get the logmein screen off my desktop, kept popping up.  When the tech guy called back to see if all was running well, told him about the issues, he sent me to 

    1. RUN
    2. type in   config and then ok
    3. when the window comes up open the tab that says SERVICES
    4. go down the list until you find logmein and uncheck
    5. hit reply, restart and it is gone

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  5. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more