Volume C is NOT dirty .. sounds good to me!
Oh, that chkdsk /r was to fix that, and not my main problem with the bsod? That's the only time it came on on it's own.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I had the a similar problem about a month ago
Thought it was fixed with all the great help I got here, but a day or so ago I rebooted and chkdsc came on without me scheduling it, then this morning I found my computer had crashed during the night ..
here's some Info-
Win XP Home 2002 SP III
Computer is getting old, Inter (R) Pentium 4CPU 240 GHz, 1.5 GB Ram
I Mainly use FFox
No idea about IDE drives or SATA drives
I have Avast free and Win Firewall
I have a CD and DVD but hardly ever use them
I don't know if I have a genuine bootable XP installation CD
Computer boots fairly well and fast
here's my System Summary-
OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 4600
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2394 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A07, 11/6/2003
SMBIOS Version 2.3
Windows Directory C:\windows
System Directory C:\windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.5512 (xpsp.080413-2111)"
User Name
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 1,536.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 653.13 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 3.35 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
My Display Info-
Name NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
PNP Device ID PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0322&SUBSYS_80DF1043&REV_A1\4&1246FE7B&0&0008
Adapter Type GeForce FX 5200, NVIDIA compatible
Adapter Description NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Adapter RAM 128.00 MB (134,217,728 bytes)
Installed Drivers nv4_disp.dll
Driver Version 6.14.11.7519
INF File oem36.inf (nv4_NV3x section)
Color Planes 1
Color Table Entries 4294967296
Resolution 1024 x 768 x 60 hertz
Bits/Pixel 32
Memory Address 0xFD000000-0xFEAFFFFF
Memory Address 0xF0000000-0xF7FFFFFF
IRQ Channel IRQ 16
I/O Port 0x000003B0-0x000003BB
I/O Port 0x000003C0-0x000003DF
Memory Address 0xA0000-0xBFFFF
Driver c:\windows\system32\drivers\nv4_mini.sys (6.14.11.7519, 6.25 MB (6,557,408 bytes), 8/3/2004 10:29 PM)
I've been doing MalwareByte and SASpyware scans,
here's my Dump File https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=5E9161E0412D6528!164&authkey=!AJ38-Yq\_Q0SoGyY
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Volume C is NOT dirty .. sounds good to me!
Oh, that chkdsk /r was to fix that, and not my main problem with the bsod? That's the only time it came on on it's own.
Running chkdsk /r should have solved your "dirty bit" problem where Windows always wants to start off with its own instance of chkdsk. You can confirm by doing the following:
Start | Run
Type:
cmd
Press the Enter key.
Then type:
fsutil dirty query C:
Press the Enter key.
What is the resulting message?
OK Folks I got thru the repair recovery .. thanks to your great help!
It said that it found and fixed one or more errors.
17162012 KB total disc
68573580 KB available
Is there a log or something where I can see what got fixed? Probably wouldn't make sense to me but might to you.
So no more BSODs now ..? :-)
Thanks for all the help! It was a new experience for me, doing all these advanced computer test Etc, couldn't have done it without a little help from my friends.
Three passes should be fine
Actually, there is no set number of passes. The Memtest manual recommends running the test overnight. See HERE.
With all due respect, I stand by my previous post to ignore the bsod unless it begins to happen often. As I stated before, they do just sometimes happen. When that occurs you're pretty much looking for a needle in a hay stack. In fact, the BSOD screen specifically states "If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen restart your computer. If this screen happens again, follow these steps." To go looking for the cause of an isolated incident is a waste of time and resources. Your statement that there is only one dump file confirms what I am saying. One dump file means it has only happened once.
10 passes with 0 errors :-)
Nothing wrong with checking the ram, but as I stated in my previous post, although the error message includes "Memory management" the issue is most often not related to faulty ram.
"Also, while the dump file states the error was a result of Memory Management, most often this error is not the ram. It is most often a fluke between the installed ram and pagefile".
Finally***,*** being old doesn't mean the computer should have issues. That is a human characteristic which computers do not share. A computer is made up of electronic and mechanical components. They either work or they don't. They don't work half way.