Tom,
Pləase double-check that error number.
If the Component-Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted, you might receive a Error code: 0x80070490
<<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>>
UTC/GMT is 00:08 on Sunday, January 06, 2013
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
I’m running Windows 7 Home Premium. I’ve never had any problems with Windows update until recently. I have a problem with one update: "Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series". Any ideas why this Windows update installation fails?
Thanks,
Tom
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Tom,
Pləase double-check that error number.
If the Component-Based Servicing (CBS) manifest is corrupted, you might receive a Error code: 0x80070490
<<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958044>>
UTC/GMT is 00:08 on Sunday, January 06, 2013
Finally a successful easy fix. I was having the same problem after Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64 based systems on 3/4/16. The Hewlett-Packard - Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series update failed repeatedly. This solution of uninstalling Unknown printer devices in Device Manager worked for me also (except I uninstalled three unknown printer devices vice two).
I just want to say thank you so much for the information on the device manager and removing those unknown devices. That is exactly what solved this issue of failing upgrades.
I replied to this discussion near the end of the discussion but here is what I found out about the NULL PRINT error in Windows Update in Windows 10. It may also apply to problems in other Windows releases.
Solutions found at HP.COM under Support and then under Software and Drivers:
I just stumbled over the solutions to all the issues related to HP printers after upgrading to Win 10. Go to hp.com and to the Support section. You should get a popup alert that addresses the known problems with Windows Update, Device Manager, et al. Essentially
Here is one link to check: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04773236/
Here is another link: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04714314
HELLO. To refresh your memory, I'm including, below, some of your message since it's from 2013. I just received it from Microsoft to 'help me' clear up my 'Null Print' update/download problem. I've been having the same FAILURE for probably a year. Besides the frustration of this 'failure', my HP Photosmart 7520 printer often isn't 'found' when I try to print (always via wifi). Sometimes I'll later hear my printer starting for no reason. & the print I requested earlier is being printed.
My UPDATES are NOT on automatic download, but I still get this 'failure'. Can you help me?
Many thanks.
B-Natalie
***See parts of your 2013 reply below.***
Your link works. Your system log contains two repeating entries which I have seen before.
{B-Natalie included only 1 here.}
Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Date: 06/01/13 00:52:37
Event ID: 20
Task Category: Windows Update Agent
Level: Error
Description:
Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0x80070490: Hewlett-Packard
- Imaging, Other hardware - Null Print - HP Photosmart 7520 series.
Jose gave you a link to KB 958044 which contains detailed advice on how to fix the error. Which methods did you try? It would help to to know exactly what you did. Method 2 is a Repair Install which can be challenging?
You can probably break the circular routine by turning of automatic updating at least until you have fixed the underlying error.
A lot of problems arise from setting Windows Update to automatically update. You may prefer to change this setting. Select Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Change Settings. Under Important Updates is a box showing the current setting. Click on the Arrow down to the right and change the selection to “Check for Updates but let me choose whether to download and install them” and click on OK.
If you encounter problems updating or you are not using the Automatic Update you should manually update by selecting Start, All Programs, Windows Update, Check for Updates. Check the boxes before the updates you want to install, click on Install and click again on Install in the next window and the process of installing starts. You should let the process proceed without interruption. Multi-tasking at the time updating is in progress is unwise. The progress window will tell you what is going on. You need to be patient.