There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly. Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem

Anonymous
2013-09-04T00:43:40+00:00

Original title: "file name warning" message

In the past week or so, I have been getting a warning box that shows up on my desk top (of Windows 8) whenever I boot up.  It says "There is a file or folder called "c:\Program" which could cause certain applications to not function correctly.  Renaming it to "c:\Program1" would solve this problem.  Would you like to rename it now?" and there are 2 options: "rename" or "ignore".  I "Binged" it, and there are some very old discussions about this (like 5+ yrs ago) and the consensus seems to be that it is a Windows issue.  What do I need to do to get rid of it?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2015-06-06T12:54:24+00:00

Ok so here is how i SOLVED this problem.

In my case while investigating this on a clients device i found that a VOIP program was causing this issue and the error message popped up, and renaming the folder wont work because the program is running.

So i found the voip program (in the task bar in this case) and closed it. I then found the folder that needed renaming, "c:\program" and renamed it to "c:\program1"

Then restarted the computer and... No pop up.

Hope this helps.

Was this answer helpful?

70+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

50 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-05-15T06:20:10+00:00

    I too believe it's a Foxit Reader issue. I've got the same experience but i didn't install the toolbar. Any ideas what to do and if we should be worried? Thanks :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-05-08T03:41:51+00:00

    I have the same problem now under Windows 7.  Neither deleting or renaming the folder works.  When trying to delete the folder, the system says: "You'll need to provide administrator permission to delete this folder".  When I click "continue," (as an admin) I get a window titled "Folder access denied."  Then I can click "Try again," but it brings me back to the same message.

    Any ideas how to solve this?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-05-08T01:03:36+00:00

    Soooooo....WhatShouldOneDoIfThisComesUpAgain?

    Ran out of ideas,

    What did you do, no one else provide a solution?  My issue just popped up today!

    Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-17T19:23:12+00:00

    Have you tried adding any program path (eg:  c:\abc\def\ghi) in the PATH variable ?. 

    Please make sure to include semicolon(;) at the end of the path variable.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments