Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough memory

Anonymous
2013-01-20T07:29:26+00:00

Whenever I try to save one of my movies a little bit into the save process it stops and says I do not have enough memory try again with a lower resolution. I've tried every resolution and bit rate and it still doesnt work. I am almost positive its not my computer hardware. I have a 3rd Gen i7 (1.9GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (90 GB Free), and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The movie when saved should be no more than 200 MB so i don't know what the problem is. If I can use a full Autodesk/AutoCAD suite to make parts and do 3D renderings, im sure my computer should be able to handle a slideshow of stills.

Original title: Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough disk space

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-20T20:10:27+00:00

Error:

Movie Maker

There isn’t enough memory available to save this file. Try saving it at a lower resolution.

I am using Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with 4 gigs of memory and an Intel Q720 processor at 1.6 Ghz.

My videos are .MOV files from a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS camera.

This error has occurred several times on several projects. The projects are saved and the error is replicable each time I tried to save the move in High Resolution (HD: 1920x1080). The error occurs at the same percentage on the progress bar, upon replication of the problem. Increasing the size of the Windows swap file makes no difference. While the movie is being rendered (before the error occurs) Task Manager shows CPU use at 80%+ and the memory use increases nearly linearly with time until 4 gigs are used. Then the memory use stays at 4 gigs, the CPU drops to near 0, and after a few minutes the error appears. The movies can be saved successfully at “Computer” resolution (854x480) and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

I can repeat the error with a single .MOV video of length 47 seconds. I saved the project with just this single video. The error is replicable with this long video at 26% complete. I then split that video, without shortening the total video, using the Split edit command. The movie can now be saved. To clarify, I did not shorten or edit the video, except to add a split at the 21 second point.  The movie renders successfully from this split video, and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-11T01:48:53+00:00

    SandyMahoney, I feel for you having gone through the same problem.  My project was 37 min and I was able to save it in three separate projects and then put them back together in DVD Maker.  Have you tried saving your project in smaller pieces?  This is just a suggestion to hopefully rescue all the work you have done.  I do not recommend this software and suggest you find a different software for future projects.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-10T17:40:02+00:00

    None of it worked.  I have no problem saving the project.  I just can't turn it into a movie.  I tried removing the music, didn't work.  If I removed the pictures, it removed the music so that was useless, I'm only using jpeg, so there is no video to delete.  I checked the graphics and everything is up to date.  From seeing the board and talking to a few friends that used it, they had to save the project and use another program to make it into a movie.  I've just failed an entire football team.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-10T15:59:42+00:00

    I've tried all of the solutions.  I just purchased this computer in September, so I know everything is up to date, plus, I went through and made sure it was.  I even reloaded movie maker software.  I'm on a deadline and cannot get this to work.  Can I speak to a human TODAY, December 10, 2013 before noon eastern time?  I need this help ASAP!!  This video is due by the end of today.  I didn't have this issue on my old computer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-10T15:53:27+00:00

    AMEN!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments