Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough memory

Anonymous
2013-01-20T07:29:26+00:00

Whenever I try to save one of my movies a little bit into the save process it stops and says I do not have enough memory try again with a lower resolution. I've tried every resolution and bit rate and it still doesnt work. I am almost positive its not my computer hardware. I have a 3rd Gen i7 (1.9GHz), 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD (90 GB Free), and Intel HD 4000 Graphics. The movie when saved should be no more than 200 MB so i don't know what the problem is. If I can use a full Autodesk/AutoCAD suite to make parts and do 3D renderings, im sure my computer should be able to handle a slideshow of stills.

Original title: Windows Movie Maker Error- Not enough disk space

Windows for home | Other | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-20T20:10:27+00:00

Error:

Movie Maker

There isn’t enough memory available to save this file. Try saving it at a lower resolution.

I am using Movie Maker 2012 with Windows 7 Professional on an HP Pavilion dv6 notebook with 4 gigs of memory and an Intel Q720 processor at 1.6 Ghz.

My videos are .MOV files from a Canon PowerShot SX260 HS camera.

This error has occurred several times on several projects. The projects are saved and the error is replicable each time I tried to save the move in High Resolution (HD: 1920x1080). The error occurs at the same percentage on the progress bar, upon replication of the problem. Increasing the size of the Windows swap file makes no difference. While the movie is being rendered (before the error occurs) Task Manager shows CPU use at 80%+ and the memory use increases nearly linearly with time until 4 gigs are used. Then the memory use stays at 4 gigs, the CPU drops to near 0, and after a few minutes the error appears. The movies can be saved successfully at “Computer” resolution (854x480) and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

I can repeat the error with a single .MOV video of length 47 seconds. I saved the project with just this single video. The error is replicable with this long video at 26% complete. I then split that video, without shortening the total video, using the Split edit command. The movie can now be saved. To clarify, I did not shorten or edit the video, except to add a split at the 21 second point.  The movie renders successfully from this split video, and the memory use never went above 1.55 GB.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

51 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-27T03:41:28+00:00

    Hi Everyone, it seems like I'm not the only person having this issue and there are a number of people at work experiencing the same problem also.

    I am trying to create an animation of a 3D model from .jpg files exported from the modelling software. The movie only runs for approximately 1 minute at 20 fps.

    The workaround that eventually worked for me was to stitch images together in batches of 200 into mp4 format, this left me with 6 mp4 files which I then stitched together in movie maker to form the complete movie. The final file size is 42.6 Mb.

    I know this certainly isn't a solution and is certainly takes up a lot of time, but hopefully it's a workaround that can help people push out those urgent projects.

    ***EDIT***

    I should also state that my movie contains no music, just the image captures stitched together.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-05T01:57:02+00:00

    Hello i updated my graphics card downloaded microsoft fix it and fixed my codec and .avi is a usable format for movie maker but i still get the error

    this is so annoying and alot of people use this program so i really need help with this thing :/

    thanks alot

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-12-24T22:53:21+00:00

    Hello,

    I have experienced the same issue as these individuals. A file I made in Windows Movie Maker 2007 can't be rendered, although I have sufficient memory and none of the source files have been moved or corrupted (to my knowledge). The file itself contains numerous clips (approximately 40) but is under a minute in length. I downloaded the 2012 version of WMM, but the newer version is unable to open WMM 2007 files. My drivers are up to date, and I can't use the fix-it tool for CODECS because it doesn't seem to be available for Windows 8. Do you have any other advice?

    (This may or may not be relevant, but when playing back the project in WMM it freezes at the same point - about 7 seconds in - about 80% of the time. I can unfreeze by clicking the play button, and the rest of the project plays normally.)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-12-18T19:52:54+00:00

    I'm having the same problem. None of the solutions noted thus far have worked. I'm getting the feeling that no one really knows how to fix this and that most people just give up without ever solving the problem.

    Any recommendations for another other movie makers (free if possible)?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments