No video on mpg files WIndows 8 Media Player.

Anonymous
2013-01-23T19:47:00+00:00

I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-19T16:56:43+00:00

It didn't work for my case.   I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine.    It was a $9.00 upcharge.   I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.   

Chuck

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-10-04T13:46:42+00:00

    I'll try it, thank you chipah.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2014-10-21T20:53:35+00:00

    I think the two best options are:

    Install VLC Player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

    or

    Install CCCP http://cccp-project.net/

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-21T22:47:02+00:00

    Thank you for the suggestions.

    To play mpeg2 vídeo files, the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack is free and now it comes with the Media Player Classic - Home Cinema (32 bits and 64 bits versions). The 2 togehter (Codecs and Media player) are good, free, simple and efficient. I associated the  mpeg files to this media player and that solved my problem. I know that there are other programs but am not going to waste any more time looking for other alternatives.

    To make movies, I found no free solution to replace the Windows Movie Maker. Because I also wanted to convert old VHS cassettes and edit the resulting movies, I acquired comercial software to capture and edit movies. The program I acquired is not cheap, but there are cheap alternatives available, if you don't need quasi-professional capabilities.

    The no costs alternative is to download a free video converter program (there are several in the net) and convert the mpeg2 files into mp4 files. For them, you can use both Windows Media Player and Windows Movie Maker.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments