No video on mpg files WIndows 8 Media Player.

Anonymous
2013-01-23T19:47:00+00:00

I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-19T16:56:43+00:00

It didn't work for my case.   I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine.    It was a $9.00 upcharge.   I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.   

Chuck

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-06-27T22:36:24+00:00

    I have Windows 8.1 standard, and will need to pay about $100 for upgrading to Windows 8 Pro. So I searched on Google and tried the following Codec pack for Windows Media Player, and now it plays .mpg videos:

    http://download.cnet.com/Windows-8-Codec-Pack/3000-13632\_4-75871449.html

    It came out in February 2013, has 1 review on Cnet that says it does not work at all, and when I installed it it wanted to shovel spyware on my system.  (Why I don't go to Cnet anymore).   But I have to say Microsoft MVP recommending freeware VLC player is refreshing.  VLC works okay but it is a little rough around the edges and not user friendly, although it does a lot if you like to fiddle with the knobs.

    If you try the cnet codec, watch for out for this, and click the I decline (to be infected) button on the bottom left.  I'll give it a whirl.  But the codec will not play DVD unless you have the media player.

     

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-08-08T01:00:37+00:00

    Other possible Codec pack (installed and solved issue watching a "funny" Mpeg format) ==> http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Mega-Codec-Pack/3000-13632\_4-10794603.html

    Used this Codec to solve my issue.  Make sure you read what your installing (decline all offers after the codec download don't next thru them as most do, also the install process has a set to change your home page, free programs, etc).   Everything opens normally with windows media player, but will end up getting the media center  when it becomes a benefit for my surface. I use windows 7 on another tablet for my Media Center to TV.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-08-08T06:57:17+00:00

    That solution works for you because you have Windows 7. It does not work for Windows 8/8.1.

    The reason is explained in the following quote taken from the Microsoft's site which someone sent me:

    "MPEG-2 format video isn't supported by default on Windows 8.1. It is supported in Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center. If you're running Windows 8.1 and you want to use MPEG-2 format videos, you should upgrade to Windows 8.1 Pro with Windows Media Center, or install a third-party MPEG-2 video decoder solution."

    I have Windows 8.1 and did not pay the extra money to buy the Windows 8.1 Pro version.

    As a consequence, I can neither play MPEG-2 files in Windows Media Player nor edit them with Windows Movie Maker.

    To play MPEG-2 files, I use a media player that the computer manufacturer pre-installs together with the OS. But there are free alternatives in the Internet. I know of "Media Player Classic - Home Cinema", which is free and does not carry malware (at least, when I downloaded it).

    For editing and film making, I bought an expensive commercial program. I do not know if there are free or cheap alternatives.

    This problem does not arise for MPEG-1 files, because they are still upported in Windows 8.1.

    They have the same extension as the MPEG-2 files (.mpg) and this may cause some confusion. To know if a specific file made by others is MPEG-1 or MPEG-2, I use a free and malware free piece of software called MediaInfo.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-10-04T12:28:23+00:00

    Hi, I had the same problem, I fixed it by installing this windows 8 codec pac:

    http://download.cnet.com/Windows-8-Codec-Pack/3000-13632\_4-75871449.html

    I hope you find it usefull!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments