No video on mpg files WIndows 8 Media Player.

Anonymous
2013-01-23T19:47:00+00:00

I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-19T16:56:43+00:00

It didn't work for my case.   I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine.    It was a $9.00 upcharge.   I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.   

Chuck

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2014-04-05T17:08:55+00:00

    Thanks for your feedback on this issue.  I just discovered this problem after trying to open these mpeg files originally created on my Win7 laptop/Sony Digi8 camcorder/Cyberlink Video software.  I'll probably download VLC on my Win8(basic) machine and proceed with more disdain for Win8. 

    In parallel with the VLC download, to try and distance myself from future playback issues, have any of you travelled down the path of burning these mpeg files onto DVD ? I'm going back to my Win7 machine, where I created these files,  and will try to burn DVDs using my CyberLink software. Let me know if there is a better solution to burn DVDs using the Win8 machine.

    Next up is putting these mpeg files on a portable usb drive and plugging into a smart TV...we'll see...looking for more options...

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-04-07T00:15:40+00:00

    I just learned my Samsung Smart TV sharing capability is not compatible with Win8 sharing.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-26T05:51:36+00:00

    I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

    Download and install Windows 8 Codecs

    Downloaded this file and now my PC is severely infected. Pop ups gallor and new programs everywhere offering to pay to clean my PC. First virus on this PC in over a year. Thanks alot.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-27T21:51:39+00:00

    I have Windows 8.1 standard, and will need to pay about $100 for upgrading to Windows 8 Pro. So I searched on Google and tried the following Codec pack for Windows Media Player, and now it plays .mpg videos:

    http://download.cnet.com/Windows-8-Codec-Pack/3000-13632\_4-75871449.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments