No video on mpg files WIndows 8 Media Player.

Anonymous
2013-01-23T19:47:00+00:00

I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-19T16:56:43+00:00

It didn't work for my case.   I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine.    It was a $9.00 upcharge.   I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.   

Chuck

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-25T21:14:01+00:00

    thanks for the solution.  Since I have over 30 relatives surrounding the tv hooked to one of the 4 new win 8 laptops we bought for xmas and cant get the home movies to play like they do just fine on win7 desktop in my office.... I ill give that a shot.....and file this as another miserable failure on stuff that just should work that doesn't.  ......to bad...I thought lessons about consumer products had been learned......I hope they think the $9 is worth it.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-01-03T17:42:50+00:00

    I had the same problem when I transferred videos from an older computer.  These videos were made with a Sony Handycam and used to play fine with Windows Media Player on the old computer but they will not play on the Windows 8.1 operating system using the Windows Media Player.  I finally downloaded the VLC player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html and they all play perfectly.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-07T15:34:02+00:00

    I had the same problem when I transferred videos from an older computer.  These videos were made with a Sony Handycam and used to play fine with Windows Media Player on the old computer but they will not play on the Windows 8.1 operating system using the Windows Media Player.  I finally downloaded the VLC player http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html and they all play perfectly.

    It is just terrible that one need to use a old OS to run home made movies. Guess thats why MS is also just one step to late

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-03-08T13:27:06+00:00

    Another nail in the windows 8 coffin. windows 8 is the best advertisement to move to Apple. Makes you wonder if Apple has some undercover people working at Microsoft.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments