No video on mpg files WIndows 8 Media Player.

Anonymous
2013-01-23T19:47:00+00:00

I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-19T16:56:43+00:00

It didn't work for my case.   I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine.    It was a $9.00 upcharge.   I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.   

Chuck

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-08-09T10:43:22+00:00

    I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

    Download and install Windows 8 Codecs

    DO NOT click on the link!  It takes you to a site which installs garbage on your PC!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-16T01:47:02+00:00

    Microsoft actually discloses this under the Windows 8 product feature listing. Right there in black and white that it is not included. States very clear that Media player is lacking all kinds of things and the codecs being one of them. Did anyone read the Product specs before purchasing Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro Or Windows Media ? No? Well maybe you should start there. Its made pretty clear. Its stated that it can be purchased seperate for a minimal price through their site or a certified 3rd party. Ta Da! Magic.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-19T13:35:38+00:00

    No need for smart-**** remarks.

    Did I read the product specs before purchasing these programs? No. Why not? Because they all came pre-loaded on the new PC and there was no purchasing decisions.

    For other reasons (lack of backwards compatibility) I tried to get Windows 7 on the new PC but Microsoft won't allow it. So I got what I got.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-08-19T14:29:33+00:00

    No need for smart-**** remarks. Did I read the product specs before purchasing these programs? No. Why not? Because they all came pre-loaded on the new PC and there was no purchasing decisions. For other reasons (lack of backwards compatibility) I tried to get Windows 7 on the new PC but Microsoft won't allow it. So I got what I got.

    ===================================

    For playing in WMP...try converting your .MPGs

    to the .WMV format.

    There are many converters available on the net...

    some free, some retail...the following freeware 

    is just one example that has worked well for me:

    (FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System

    Restore point before installing software or updates)

    Freemake Free Video Converter (freeware)

    http://www.freemake.com/free_video_converter/

    (Windows XP / Vista / 7 / 8 )

    (***Carefully read *all* the install screens...there

    may be some items you want to uncheck***)

    When you have Freemake installed...open Freemake

    and drag/drop your video files on the main screen.

    Or...Left click the Video button and Browse to the

    folder your video files are saved in.

    Select (highlight) the files you wish to import into

    Freemake and left click the "Open" button.

    When your video files are imported into Freemake,

    Left click the WMV icon at the bottom of the screen.

    The "WMV Output Parameters" screen will open. 

    Choose a "Save To" folder so you can find the

    converted files.

    Left click the "Convert" button and wait for the files

    to be converted.

    Or give VLC Media Player a try...it will play just

    about anything.

    (FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System

    Restore point before installing software or updates)

    VLC Media Player (32-bit Version)

    http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc_32/

    (runs on XP/Vista/7/8)

    (the filename to download is : vlc-2.0.8-win32.exe)

    (FWIW...it's always a good idea to create a System

    Restore point before installing software or updates)

    VLC Media Player (64-bit Version)

    http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc_64/

    (runs on XP/Vista/7/8)

    (the filename to download is : vlc-2.0.7-win64.exe)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments