No video on mpg files WIndows 8 Media Player.

Anonymous
2013-01-23T19:47:00+00:00

I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-19T16:56:43+00:00

It didn't work for my case.   I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine.    It was a $9.00 upcharge.   I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.   

Chuck

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Lz365 38,201 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-03-19T18:05:14+00:00

    Thanks Chuck.

    Should be another "funny" mpeg format coming from the camera - see thread .MOD files won't play in Win8... One of the above Codec packs solved Jeff's problem.

    Cheers

    Lz.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-02T18:46:35+00:00

    Go Figure Microsoft.  This has been another ignored issue my MS for more than 12 years. Why not include include it instead of make your users go off on another rocket science project and spend valuable finding VLC player free third party app that does it all and is best replacement for lame Windows Media player?  and what about METRO in your face solution?  None.  MS please get with the program and start making it easier.  MPG is a standard format for fones and cameras.  You want to be all that, then start with the basics!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-20T04:04:13+00:00

    No problem.   However my movies were recorded on an old Sony Camcorder using tapes.  High 8 tapes I believe.   Used software and a "PINNACLE SYSTEMS DAZZLE DVC 120 EXTERNAL USB 2 0 VIDEO CAPTURE DEVICE" to import the movies onto my pc in the .mpg format.   There are several posts about Microsoft not including the media player as they have in the past with Windows 7, Vista, XP, ect....  All I know is everything works great, and I can edit, play, burn, and modify my videos now after getting the Windows 8 Media Center download here:

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/products/windows-media-center/get-it

    Again I tried both of the Codec packs shown above, plus tried a couple others I had researched on the forums.   All I know is what worked for me.   Hopefully all of my trial and error can save others a ton of time and frustration.   If you have the basic Windows 8 version you need the Windows 8 Pro Pack upgrade.   If you already have Windows 8 Pro installed then all you need is the $9.00 Windows Media Center Pack.   Good luck!

    Chuck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-30T17:27:41+00:00

    .mpg video format has been around a while - and is quite common.  For those of us who just bought an $800 laptop - to have to spend another $99.99 to upgrade to WIndows 8 pro - then potentially ANOTHER $9.99 on top of that just to watch home videos of our daughter's wedding is DESPICABLE.

    I design and develop software for a major international software vendor.  I can tell you that our customers would have a meltdown if we tried to pull a stunt like this - that of removing functionality that had been FREE for decades.

    Way to go Microsoft.  You're reinforcing the reputation you already enjoy with so many of us out here whom you treat with absolute contempt.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments