No video on mpg files WIndows 8 Media Player.

Anonymous
2013-01-23T19:47:00+00:00

I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-19T16:56:43+00:00

It didn't work for my case.   I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine.    It was a $9.00 upcharge.   I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.   

Chuck

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Oldest
  1. Anonymous
    2016-02-27T09:16:22+00:00

    It's like charging people extra for car windows that actually open .. yah .. typical

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2017-11-28T12:58:46+00:00

    I have windows 10 but no video shows on media player only sound

    its an mpg video

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2017-11-29T08:51:04+00:00

    I have windows 10 but no video shows on media player only sound

    its an mpg video

    Do like everybody else: get VLC Media Player for Windows 10 64 bits, free desktop version in:

    https://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2017-11-29T11:55:33+00:00

    VLC video player is a free software and really great. I routinely use this program for all video formats.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments