No video on mpg files WIndows 8 Media Player.

Anonymous
2013-01-23T19:47:00+00:00

I have some video files that were converted from another format to mpg. They play perfectly on my WIndows 7 PC. I can use WMP and Movie Maker. I have a new PC with Windows 8. In either of those programs the videos play the sound only. No error messages. Don't know if I'm missing a CODEC or just what. Any thoughts?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Music, photos, and video

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-19T16:56:43+00:00

It didn't work for my case.   I ended up having to upgrade to the "Media Center Edition" and then everything worked fine.    It was a $9.00 upcharge.   I guess some people don't use Media Player, so they decided to break that out of the package.   

Chuck

Was this answer helpful?

5 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Newest
  1. Anonymous
    2013-03-19T17:45:49+00:00

    Home movies that were saved in the .mpg format.    I downloaded the codecs shown above, but that didn't work.   Payed $9.00 for the instant download of the "Media Center" and then all was well.   I could watch and burn my old movies onto dvd's again.

    Chuck

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Lz365 38,201 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-03-19T17:36:28+00:00

    @Chuck,

    What was your video format?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Lz365 38,201 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-03-19T16:05:56+00:00

    Hi John,

    I was wondering if the above information helped? Your postback would be greatly appreciate and probably help other users here... Thanks in advance.

    You also might be interested by this article regarding WMP in Windows 8 and the Codecs.

    Cheers

    Lz.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Lz365 38,201 Reputation points Volunteer Moderator
    2013-03-06T12:06:44+00:00

    Other possible Codec pack (installed and solved issue watching a "funny" Mpeg format) ==> http://download.cnet.com/K-Lite-Mega-Codec-Pack/3000-13632\_4-10794603.html

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments