Indeed when you are not getting "more details" (no graph), the copy operation is faster.
File transfer of large files suddenly stops
Dear community and Microsoft support team,
since the release of Windows 8, I'm experiencing a strange issue on my SATA3 1TB HDD (I can specify the exact model if needed), running in AHCI mode.
When copying or moving larger files (starts with files of about 50 MB or more), the file transfer suddenly stops - the transfer rate goes down to 0 bytes/s.
I can't even pause or cancel the progress. The button then just grays out and I can only kill the explorer.exe to get this file task away (it stays there - and if I start another action it just gets joined in the file tasks window below the frozen task.
Here's an image. You can nicely see the sudden stop of the file copy action.
On the left side the progress just froze. It will stay like that _forever_. I tried waiting 2 days because the computer was running anyways. Nothing happened.
On the right side I tried to cancel it, but the buttons just gray out and the label says "Cancelling" - this will also _never_ happen. The other controls react normally to user input (e.g. hiding the details), but the buttons are disabled _forever_. The only way to get rid of this frozen task is to kill explorer.exe.
- I experienced this problem on my and another pc in my old home.
- I experienced it with different fresh and old Windows 8 installations on my current PC (very annoying after copying files back on a fresh Win8 install - it freezes even there).
- It doesn't matter if this happens on local disks or over the network.
- It doesn't matter if details are shown or not.
- I also experienced this on Windows 8.1 Preview on my laptop.
Thanks for any help in advance. If you need additional details, feel free to ask me.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
46 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2018-06-23T02:35:48+00:00 -
Anonymous
2018-03-06T13:30:41+00:00 I'm having the same issue in Windows 10 (1709) Build 16299.248.
Whenever I try to transfer a large file from my PC to my NAS, the file transfer goes down to zero at some point through the process. I usually click X to cancel, and then the window sits there, and I can close it.
From what I've seen though, this only happens if I attempted a Cut/Paste.
Whenever it happens, after closing the transfer window, I immediately try Copy/Paste and it works fine.
-
Anonymous
2018-02-25T05:36:08+00:00 Just had the same problem with Windows 8.1. I paused the transfer of about 1.5TB of files at 87% done since the copy process seemed to have just stopped. The pause button grayed out and that's why i went looking for info & found this thread. Interestingly, after about 20 minutes, I got a popup dialog saying that there were over 700,000 files with the same file name & what would I like to do about it? There were about that same number of files left to copy which I thought was odd since I knew that there couldn't possibly be that number of files with the same name. I selected to SKIP the files and the pause button was no longer grayed out but the PAUSE notice was still there. I clicked it and copying of the remaining 700,000 actual files resumed. Keeping fingers crossed. I'm copying files from a NAS RAID system so I have a complete usable backup not dependent on backup software. I'm using Windows 8.1 because the HPz820 workstation won't accept Windows 10. I'm temporarily using my video workstation for the NAS since the C drive of my 8 year old but still excellent xw9400 crapped out and I'm awaiting a replacement drive. Even with USB 3 it still takes a day or so to copy all those files.
-
Anonymous
2018-01-05T13:27:23+00:00 The problem here was spontaneously solved after one of the many upgrades. (Windows 10).
I have no problems anymore. Sorry cannot be more specific.
Rgds
-
Anonymous
2017-12-12T00:33:35+00:00 How you solved i have same problem
With my pc and hard disk please help me