I need a windows 7 disc. My eMachine came without one.. Getting this error: "There is an error with your installation. Please reinstall the application"

Anonymous
2013-05-05T23:55:55+00:00

I need a win 7 disc. Either full disc or restart disc. I cannot even start my computer. Continually get "Setup is starting services".  another window opes saying "Install Windows - There is an error with your installation. Please reinstall the application". This keeps coming up continually.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-13T22:14:07+00:00

Hello Steve,

Assuming that you were able to burn the Windows 7 ISO file to a DVD, that is your "Boot Media".  What may be happening is that your first boot device - the device your computer boots from - is not your DVD drive.

To get around this, reboot your computer and as you do press and hold the F12 key. That will bring up a menu that will allow you to select the DVD burner (player) as your first boot device. Select that, insert your DVD, and press any key to start the installation process.

Let me know if this helps you out.

Regards,

BearPup

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-17T05:16:57+00:00

    Hello Steve,

    Lets start at the very beginning. Is your eMachines computer a laptop or a desktop computer?

    Also, to be clear, you already own a valid Product Key, correct? This is a sticker on the bottom of your laptop, or on the rear or side of your computer, and clearly is marked Product Key. I want to make sure you can read a DVD OK - do you have a DVD that you can test in your machine?

    Lastly, are you downloading and making the copies of the ISO files on the "damaged" computer? If so, we may be able to salvage your computer another way. If the answer to this question is yes, try this instead of the Windows DVD:  download and burn to a CD the following:  http://download.cnet.com/BootMed-64Bit/3000-2094_4-75450831.html .

    You do this by downloading the file (another long download) and then right-clicking the ISO file, and then clicking on Burn to disc (this will fit on a single data CD).

    If you can do this successfully, insert this CD into your computer and try to start it using this CD. Its a Live CD that should allow you to boot 'around' any virus or malware infection, and allow you to restore your computer this way.

    Please let me know how you want to proceed and/or answer my questions and we'll move onto the next step.

    Regards,

    BearPup

    P.S. Don't worry about the time it takes to work through this, I just want to make sure you get what you need. I'm happy to help you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-05-17T04:14:23+00:00

    Thank you for all the time you are taking to help me. The drive I have on the computer I am using says "CD Drive" so I guess this is just a CD burner, and not a DVD Burner. When I try to burn to the disk I get a message that says you can not burn file larger than 2GB. So I am going to have to go to Office Depot or BestBuy and get them to burn the ISO, which I will save to a flash drive.  I will do this Friday.

    Which of the two files should I get burned? One is 3.09 GB (says ISO File) and the other is 1.20GB (says 1SO PART.

    Again Thank you for your help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-05-16T23:18:27+00:00

    Hello Again Steve,

    This is to follow-up my last post. In order to do a full, clean install of windows you need to have access to a DVD burner (player/recorder). This might be on your computer or on someone else's computer that you use to make the data file you need.

    The full, clean Windows install requires a DVD disc burned (made / recorded) on a DVD player. You will in turn use this DVD to actually install the Windows OS. A CD is nowhere near big enough. If all you have is a CD player, and don't have access to a DVD player, then you will have to buy the DVD Installation Disc.

    But, buying the Installation Disc is not the same as buying the Product Key (phew!). You already have a Product Key (that's the sticker on the bottom of your laptop). Confused? Not to worry, its easy to get mixed up.

    Let's start at the beginning. Do you have a CD player / burner or a DVD player / burner? And do you have a DVD disc or just a CD disc? Answer these questions and we'll proceed on track.

    Regards,

    BearPup

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-05-16T23:03:38+00:00

    Hello Steve,

    Yes, that is the problem. When you burn a disc you are creating an ISO image, which is far more than a mere copy of a file. I'm also not sure why you have two files, but I'd suggest burning a DVD disc (not a CD, a CD isn't large enough to hold the full DVD) as follows:

    1. On the computer you downloaded the copy of the ISO file (your first file), right-click on the file and click "Burn to disc...". If you can't do that, download the following program and use it to burn the ISO file to disc:  http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html .
    2. Once you have the ISO file burned to a disc, that is your Boot Media. That will then install Windows onto your computer. If you buy the full Winodows DVD, you will be buying what you just downloaded for free and burned to a DVD!
    3. The 'second file' that you have is not something that should be left over after successfully downloading the complete ISO file - so I have to ask, did you download the full ISO file or did the download get stopped part of the way through?

    Let me know how you get through these instructions and we'll go from there. OK?

    Regards,

    BearPup

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments