How to change pre-login image in Windows 8

Anonymous
2012-12-19T22:22:59+00:00

This is a home computer that has several accounts.  The image displayed is Seattle which is not the lock image for any account (including the hidden administrator account).  I would like to change this pre-login/sign-out image to something (anything) else.   What steps do I need to take to avoid having to look at this stupid image (sorry Microsoft, not all of us are from Seattle nor want any image that looks drawn from crayons)?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Email and communications

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-20T15:57:26+00:00

Hi Gator,

We are glad to assist you with the issue on Microsoft Community.

Before I approach towards any suggestion, I would like to collect some information on thsis issue:

Are you referring to the Local screen on the computer?

If you are referring to Lock screen on the computer, then let us try the following steps by navigating to “Change PC settings” on the computer.

Please follow the steps:

a) Press Windows and c key together to open the Charms bar.

b) Click on Settings.

c) Click on Change PC settings option at the bottom of the charms bar.

d) Click on Personalize option.

e) Click on Lock Screen.

f) Choose the required picture you want to save as the lock screen picture.

You may refer to the link below in response to this query:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/change-backgrounds-pictures#1TC=t1

Hope it helps. Please write us if it does not resolves the query.

Was this answer helpful?

10+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-23T07:33:44+00:00

http://superuser.com/questions/484206/how-can-i-change-the-lock-screen-in-windows-8-that-appears-for-the-default-user

To make a change that is resilient to changing screen resolutions, replace C:\Windows\Web\Screen\img100.pngwith your new picture. Then delete the resized image caches from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z. You'll need to take ownership of the folders/files in question to access them.

Alternative: Disable the lock screen. To do this, search Settigns for "group policy". Navigate to Computer Configuration, Administrative Templates, Control Panel, Personalization. Set "Do not display the lock screen" to Enabled.

Was this answer helpful?

4 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-12-12T03:23:14+00:00

    You know - I DID this before the 8.1 update - and now the change is gone, and I'm going CRAZY trying to fix it... now it's some sort of circular pattern opposed to the Seattle image.

    I want to customize it too - and cannot find an EASY answer. I'm not going to mess with a bunch of programming or make changes to anything. It should be as easy as a setting (and I know it was before this update because I did it!!!)!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-02T18:42:13+00:00

    Hey BSATOW, I just stumbled upon this... I have the answer if you haven't already figured it out. 

    Right click lower left corner of any screen Start screen or desktop:

    >Run

    >GPEDIT.MSC

    >Select "Computer Configuration"

    >Select "Administrative Templates"

    >Select "Control Panel"

    >Select "Personalization"

    >Select Policy "Force a specific default lock screen image"

    >Click "Enable"

    >Specify path eg. C:\Users\USERNAME\Pictures\IRONMAN

    Done.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-11-30T15:04:17+00:00

    This fix is for the lock screen which is not difficult to change. It's the prelogin screen that's a problem. First the ugly tower, then the gross splash of hideous colors. Is there a way to change THIS screen? So far I have only found a multitude of hacking, which I prefer not to go into.

    Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments