Hello nav197707, i have the same problem.. could please help by mailing me the solution.. because i need the data very urgently.. i do not want loose it.. please mail me as early as possible..
My mail id is ******@live.com
Thank You
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
Original title: Cant open my external hard disk
I cant open my external hard drive. It says I have to format it. In computer it just show Local Disk K but there is no storage reading.
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Hello nav197707, i have the same problem.. could please help by mailing me the solution.. because i need the data very urgently.. i do not want loose it.. please mail me as early as possible..
My mail id is ******@live.com
Thank You
Hi, I have Seagate Free Go Agent External hard drive of 1 TB. In this 200 GB is free, remaining has all my documents such as photos, doc files, pdf files, music, movies, various soft ware, etc.
I have been using this external hard drive since July 2010 and it gave me no problem. Three days back when I inserted to my laptop port it asked me to format and refusing to identify. Some time when I try to open, it takes long time, it hangs my system, it changes my computer date all of a sudden and finally the message "I/O" problem comes.
I changed the hard disks letter from "I" to "M", but still it does not open. I use HP Dv 6 series laptop with original Windows 7 Ultimate.
I checked my external hard drive. It shows my name, how much space is already used and how much space is left. But it does not open, again "I/O" problem message comes.
I do not want to format my external hard disk and can not offered to lose my data. Kindly help.
Does it work on another computer without the error?
If not, refer to your backup copy and quickly replace that defective drive and make a new backup copy.
If you have no backups, when did that data become something you could not afford to lose?
Hi, I have Seagate Free Go Agent External hard drive of 1 TB. In this 200 GB is free, remaining has all my documents such as photos, doc files, pdf files, music, movies, various soft ware, etc.
I have been using this external hard drive since July 2010 and it gave me no problem. Three days back when I inserted to my laptop port it asked me to format and refusing to identify. Some time when I try to open, it takes long time, it hangs my system, it changes my computer date all of a sudden and finally the message "I/O" problem comes.
I changed the hard disks letter from "I" to "M", but still it does not open. I use HP Dv 6 series laptop with original Windows 7 Ultimate.
I checked my external hard drive. It shows my name, how much space is already used and how much space is left. But it does not open, again "I/O" problem message comes.
I do not want to format my external hard disk and can not offered to lose my data. Kindly help.
This might occur due to data currpotion on your HDD. Isuggest try these steps:
If this is NTFS file system try a CHDSK command on the drive.
If that doest work:
If none of this work then you have to format the disk and later can recover the data by using a third party data recovery software such as EASEUS Note: 100 % data recovery is not guranteed.
Regards
David
C:\Documents and Settings\mpos>chkdsk c:
The type of the file system is NTFS.
WARNING! F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.
CHKDSK is verifying files (stage 1 of 3)...
File verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying indexes (stage 2 of 3)...
Index verification completed.
CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors (stage 3 of 3)...
Security descriptor verification completed.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the
master file table (MFT) bitmap.
CHKDSK discovered free space marked as allocated in the volume bitmap.
Windows found problems with the file system.
Run CHKDSK with the /F (fix) option to correct these.
156280288 KB total disk space.
12116176 KB in 34467 files.
11304 KB in 4337 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
110084 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
144042724 KB available on disk.
4096 bytes in each allocation unit.
39070072 total allocation units on disk.
36010681 allocation units available on disk.
C:\Documents and Settings\mpos>
THIS IS WHAT I GET WHEN I TYPE IT IN. WAIT A FEW MINUTES WHEN U TYPE CHKDSK E:OR TYPE IN
TYPE IN CHKDSK E: /F