TiWorker 50% of CPU and Updating doesn't work in any way

Anonymous
2013-01-19T22:59:18+00:00

I just purchased a copy of Win 8 Pro and I see that there is a process eating up 50% of my CPU.

It's called 'Windows module installer worker'/TiWorker.exe.

I've tried to run some updates in the hope that it will fix it (although why aren't the updates included in the Win 8 version I just downloaded today, I don't know). I cannot update anything.

I am very frustrated as I've wasted 6+ hours of my weekend on this and while I was enthusiastic on switching to Win 8, it turns out it's such a complete waste of time. Incredible and if it wouldn't be midnight, I would be half way through installing Win 7 right now.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-10-01T19:45:49+00:00

I had the same problem on my Toshiba Z30t running Windows 8.1 64-bit Pro. Soon after unboxing it, I ran Windows Update, and after 30 or so updates were downloaded and installed, TiWorker.exe reared its head and pretty much took over my laptop.

After a bunch of googling over the past couple days, I ended up following the advice from this bit-tech column about Microsoft's botched update of the servicing stack.

Opening command line in Administrator mode, I executed the Deployment Image Servicing and Management (DISM) command with the following switches:

DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

And after a reboot, no more TiWorker.exe hogging my Z30t, even when I've left it idle.

Was this answer helpful?

7 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

45 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-07-02T15:00:51+00:00

    use a anti virus and scan trusted installer it immediately stooped! and u have ur computer!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-18T09:35:25+00:00

    After 39 updates installed, I now have this issue but I am a novice and having read through this thread am totally baffled...yes, I am one of those people, sorry! What I do get, loud and clear, is that the Microsoft bods replying are either deliberately playing dumb or...

    After someone explained in detail that the issue IS NOT resolved by any sort of scan, a Microsoft bright spark suggested a scan, after someone posted their "fix", a Microsoft bright spark congratulated them and offered further help but the "fix" was turning off Windows updates! In addition to be of further or more assistance you have to have been of help in the first place!

    Gee, thanks Microsoft, what would you suggest I do now? I did actually try the fixes KV suggested and guess what, they were no good.  Method 1 did not create any online instructions to follow, the link in Method 2 is a bad link and to perform a clean boot I have to be in administrator?? Yeah...

    Microsoft, perhaps you were unaware but when you apply updates to someone's laptop etc the updates are supposed to improve not devastate performance and when your engineers wade in they are supposed to a) read, comprehend and respond to the written word, b) make a reply that demonstrates that they have read and comprehended the words written to them and c) FIX THE PROBLEM. Get it?!

    Thank you to everyone (except those in the employ of MS) for this thread, I shall now try and "fixit" using your suggestions. Gonna be a long day...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-14T01:07:54+00:00

    Yeah unbelievable, the Microsoft Engineers twiddle their thumbs leaving us users to suffer then comes in after a user is forced to turn off a function to get a useable computer. Appalling behavior.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-08T09:11:22+00:00

    Hi,

    CPU usage will go high, if there are some unnecessary applications get loaded with the operating system.

    I would suggest you to perform following steps and check.


    Method 1: Run System Maintenance troubleshooter and check if it helps.

    Follow the steps:

    a)       Press Windows and X key together and select Control Panel.

    b)      Click on Troubleshooting.

    c)       Click on View all option on the left side of the Windows.

    d)      Click on System Maintenance option.

    e)      Click on Next and follow the onscreen instructions to troubleshoot the issue.

    If the issue still persists, continue to the next method.

    Method 2: We will check the functionality in safe mode with networking.

    Step 1: Start your computer in safe mode with networking and check the CPU usage.

    Refer this link to start the computer in safe mode.

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-IN/windows-8/windows-startup-settings-including-safe-mode


    If it works fine in safe mode with networking, let’s perform clean boot.


    Step 2: Perform clean boot.

    Clean boot will help us identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

    To do this, follow steps from this link:

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135


    Note: After checking the functionality in clean boot, follow the suggestions under “How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot”.

    Hope the information provided is useful. If the issue persists, reply here and we will be glad to help you.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments