disappearing pointer with windows 8 touch screen laptop

Anonymous
2012-12-16T17:25:30+00:00

I just got an ACER v5-571 touch screen laptop.  I have no mouse and use mouse pad to move the pointer.  It worked great until today.  The pointer is no longer visible.  I set to use the ctl key to see where the pointer is.  It shows me where the pointer is located by a big circle.  I tried to change some mouse settings.  The pointer is still not visible.  Any suggestion?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-01-02T18:34:00+00:00

I solved the mystery of disappearing pointer.  Suddenly remembered a few days before the disappearing of pointers, I was planning to show a movie via the hmdi port.  In the dark I played with some of the function keys.  Apparently I pressed the "hide the pointer" key (fn F7), next to the "two screens" key (fn + F6).   After press "fn" + F7 again.  The pointer returned.  No wonder all other suggestions failed to work.  I don't know if this info will help you, just to share.

Was this answer helpful?

200+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-05-19T18:15:46+00:00

    I have been having the same problem with the disappearing curser on my acer ES1-512 after having installed windows updates. I tried many of the suggestions on this page but to no avail. Eventually, I used an old mouse  I had to go into system restore and restored my laptop to a couple of days earlier. Hey Presto! when I turned it on again, there was the elusive curser!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-05-17T21:00:22+00:00

    I pressed fn f7 and the computer screen went to sleep but when I pressed fn f9 it solved the problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-12T16:04:32+00:00

     cursor is not displaying when I use the pad.        

    That would be normal if the Touch pad was trying to emulate Touch support.  A problem is that a Touch pad does not always show a hovering mouse.  So even if it was trying to emulate a pen pointer in this state it would have to be a hovering pen pointer (and the user would have to have Pointer trails enabled in Mouse Properties, Pointer Options).  Probably though if anything it is just emulating a capacitive pen which also doesn't hover, just simulates a person's finger in contact with a Touch screen.  Then provided the capacitive pen's press and hold implementation of right-click is emulated you might see that effect on your screen at whatever position you are getting those concentric circles.  But what I don't know is how is the user supposed to know where to do this on the Touch pad?  It seems some Touch pads these days don't provide buttons but try to replace their function with Touch pad gestures.  E.g. at least if the Touchpad provided buttons and you used its right-click button you might see that effect in the same place that you saw those concentric circles.  Then who knows maybe that would be enough to make a mouse pointer appear afterwards?

    So, do you have Pointer Trails enabled?  Have you tried using a press and hold gesture on your Touch pad?

    For Mousekeys go to Settings \ Ease of Access \ Mouse.   FWIW pressing Win-w Ea Mo Enter is enough for me.   Alternatively press and hold LeftAlt+LeftShift+NumLock.  Once it is activated you can choose whether you use the Numpad in its NumLock state or not.  Ah.  I see now that the Ease of Access dialog actually supports this in a slightly unobvious way using the top and bottom options.  The top one is the equivalent of the keyboard shortcut I gave for toggling it on or off.  The configuration option for whether it is to used with the Numpad's numeric keys or not is the bottom option and of course only has effect when the top one is on. 

    FWIW I have the Mousekeys icon in the Navigation Area always showing, so that can serve also as an indicator of my keyboard's Numlock state.  In my case I like to use Mousekeys with Numlock off so if Mousekeys is showing as disabled I then know that I can use my Numpad as a standard Numeric keypad.  Otherwise I can press Numlock, see the Mousekeys icon appear enabled and then use the Numpad keys for pointer control (and supplementary mouse button clicking and other handy options).

    FYI

    Robert


    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-05-12T04:01:34+00:00

    I think my previous message may have been unclear. I have the standard pad or whatever its called built into the computer.  It was working fine until a few days ago.  Now, the cursor is not displaying when I use the pad.  What is mouse keys?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments