Windows 8 - Zero key on numeric key pad doesn't work

Anonymous
2013-06-13T03:04:33+00:00

I have Windows 8 on a Samsung laptop.

When NUMLOCK is on, all numbers work EXCEPT the zero (0) key. 

When pressed, it opens the small 'undo' menu in the top left corner of the screen.  It is as though the Function-0 key is stuck.

Any ideas to fix would be appreciated.

Jan

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-06-21T16:58:58+00:00

My Samsung laptop has a "Fn Lock" key right above the + key.  I pressed it and it fixed the issue you describe.

I finally found it after a day or two of dealing with the 0 key menu issue.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

46 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-09-26T05:46:53+00:00

    What make and model machine do you have.  The solution will probably been found via the Support of the manufacturer, or by Googling, but to do so we need some details.

    You can try System Restore to get back before the problem.

    How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista (or 7, or 8).

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/#appliesto

    See, Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Recovery\ Open System Restore

    "The touchpad has been enabled or disabled. The touchpad might have been mistakenly enabled or disabled. The touchpad can be enabled or disabled in several ways, including using keyboard shortcuts (key combinations on the keyboard), using Device Manager, or by using the touchpad settings in Control Panel.

    •The touchpad settings might be set incorrectly. Most touchpads have adjustable settings and these settings can make the touchpad function improperly if set incorrectly.

    Note

    •Most manufacturers have included a keyboard shortcut for enabling or disabling the touchpad. Some PC manufacturers also include additional multitouch functionality that allows you to enable or disable the touchpad by using particular touch gestures on the touchpad."

    Mouse, touchpad, and keyboard problems in Windows

    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows/help/mouse-touchpad-keyboard-problems-in-windows#v1h=tab05

    http://www.google.com.au/search?q=Touchpad+control+panel+windows&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-AU:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&gws_rd=cr&ei=lslDUrjHD4iwiAfWs4GIBw

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-09-26T05:36:56+00:00

    I've tried all your suggestions but still stuck.  My number pad is functioning as a direction pad and I don't know how to change it back - think it's something I've done but can't recall it.  Any help would be appreciated.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-08-30T01:18:03+00:00

    I thank you as well.  I had the same problem and stumbled across the answer here.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-07-16T01:08:01+00:00

    Thank you so much.  Your post was very helpful. This fixed my problem.  There was no way I could have figured it out quickly.

    I appreciate the help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments