how to make windows 8 look and act like windows 7

Anonymous
2012-12-05T01:37:11+00:00

Recently bought a new laptop, from HP and I am so confussed with the new windows 8, I can't even use the darn thing, reminds me of the time I was stuck with an Apple Machine.  Is there a way to change the screen and start up to look and behave like Windows 7?

Other wise, I'm giving this piece of junk a good toss out the window. And I don't mean Windows 8.

Thank you for any help you all can be, I just wanted a new computer not an operating system like this..

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

42 answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-19T13:17:30+00:00

    Given that I'm an IT Tech that absolutely despises Windows 8.1 and what it forces you to do and how it now tries to pigeon-hole how you function in it..... I'm ready to absolutely throw this brand new laptop across the room and smash it into a million pieces!  Forcing people to make big changes in their day-to-day Win-Based PC operations is so beyond unacceptable to use your paying customers as your ongoing guinea pigs for troubleshooting and understanding your marketing needs.  Who the heck decided it was okay to just app everything out on the front end and make the desktop the secondary interface... While your programmers may be 21 years old, your customers vary widely in range and, from ALL of the people I've talked to from ALL of the ages that have been forced into this new Win8 world with new products, let me just tell you... they ALL HATE this Windows version -- and passionately so!   Short of profanity at this point, there really are no words.  I'm to infinity and beyond on ticked off right now and I'm an IT Tech in the Department of State Foreign Service at a Consulate overseas right now!  So, I'm no dummy here, but your operating system is not intuitive, nor user friendly... even to a tech!  Okay, enough unproductive venting.  All I'd like to do--like I used to be able to in Win7 and lesser versions, is simply watch a movie or show in one screen in the corner of my desktop while I'm working in another Microsoft Office program or game in another.  That, and perhaps the occasional additional web browser open in another part of my screen so I can multitask.  Wow, really?  Yep, really.. that's all I want.  Looked up this very simple thing across multiple forums and platforms within and outside of Microsoft... Well, gee,... all to no real avail.  No clear answers from.... anyone.  Lots of answers tried, and barring a very awkward side by side that doesn't lend well to movie watching in one of them, it doesn't appear doable... So.. that said... If I'm missing something here and it's an easy fix, how come about three hours of online research hasn't uncovered it?  How come the Microsoft online support site doesn't provide any results for simple searches like "multiple windows open at once on Win8"?  Or other fairly simple statements that should take me to a clear, concise, 'here's the exact fix' information?  I am so sick and tired of being frustrated with vague information and incompetence toward the customers... Okay guys, prove me a jackass and I'll be fine with that so long as you can provide me with a clear, concise way to give me what I used to have.  Here's your opportunity to save some face here.  Thanks.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. btbt 11,841 Reputation points
    2013-02-19T01:30:36+00:00

    That's why the Desktop is still there. That's why all the keyboard shortcuts still work. That's why even more keyboard shortcuts were added and everything can still be done with a mouse and keyboard.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-01-04T23:29:20+00:00

    i can help you i can guide you through how to disable metro charms bar welcome screens  etc to have windows 8 up and running like 7 come back if you need further help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. btbt 11,841 Reputation points
    2013-01-04T17:31:15+00:00

    Click the Desktop tile on your Start screen. That's the "Windows 7 interface".

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  5. Anonymous
    2012-12-05T18:27:01+00:00

    Hi,

    Well I do know however I can't just pour that information into your learning cup. So I suggested

    sites where you can get high quality prepared information which will help with the learning

    curve. You asked what to you seems to be a simple question however since you can't just make

    Windows 8 look like Windows 7 there is no immediate simple answer.

    HP made the computer you bought. As OEM they are responsible for both the proper operation

    of the hardware and Windows. Therefore they have a lot of reasons to want to help you make

    a successful transition to using Windows 8 both effectively and efficiently. So they also will have

    detailed "How-To" and other help available. Their forums can be an excellent resource as there

    will be others using the same exact model you have.

    The other information I provided above shows how to access Help on the computer and more

    information from the web.

    We will definitely try to help with any issues you have however not all easy questions have easy

    answers.

    Rob - SpiritX

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments