Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)

Anonymous
2013-05-16T04:28:04+00:00

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43)

Driver Version 6.2.9200.16384

Location Port_#0002.Hub_#0004

Universal Serial Bus controllers

(Standard USB Host Controller)

Anyone know a way to fix this?

Btw I tried troubleshooting it and it didn't help.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-05-16T20:29:47+00:00

Hi Billy,

Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) Let is try the following steps.

Method 1:

Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering hardware and devices in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Find and fix problems with devices.‌  You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

Method 2: Remove and reinstall all USB controllers. Follow these steps:

a)    Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc in the run box box and press OK.

b)    Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

c)    Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.

d)    Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.

e)    Plug in the removable USB device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

Post us the results once you try the above steps.

Was this answer helpful?

400+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-07-09T16:32:31+00:00

    Ditto. I see code 43 is a longstanding MS Windows issue going at least back to vista. Really, MS? NO new solution or workaround since then?? Please advise asap, I cant afford further downtime (takes too long to transfer large files via BT or Wireless network) and I would really want to avoid reinstall. Irony is I do have system backup, but since my XPS12 came with 120GB SSD, I had to save image on cloud device and the restore doesn't work unless I had bootable USB device, and ... I cant go there with 2 dead USB ports.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-09T16:21:56+00:00

    Yup, I took the same advise as above on win 8.1 and all I got was from USB HDD not being recognized to both USB ports on my Dell XPS 12 not working AT ALL, BTW, wasn't all this supposed to be plug and play. Whats with this 8.1 upgrade. TBH, I am kinda regretting not paying a little more for that mac book pro even tho ive been with Mr Gates since my schooling days starting with DOS 3.1. Thought later stage SW is supposed to be better, not get worse than before? I didn't have this issue even with Win 8.0

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-07-02T22:08:22+00:00

    I was working on a staff members laptop that seems to have this issue. An external mouse plugged in when the computer boots, is detected in the bios and the red light is on. Once the EFI starts booting windows, the light goes out and in windows i get the "port reset failed" error. I have tried updated intel drivers, but I cant seem to find any USB 3 drivers for windows 8. All the drivers will not install it seems. My guess is that MS built it in this time and that implementation of course has bugs and will never be updated. sigh.. I guess buy windows 9 or downgrade to 7.

    I am going to recommend she go back to windows 7 I think. The laptop in question is a very expensive XPS laptop which is less than a year old. I would have said that the laptop usb was faulty, however as i said it works fine in the bios which means it has to be a windows 8 driver issue.

    EDIT: Enabling "USB DEBUG" which is an option in the dell bios, has made one port start working perfectly. The other port still does not work in windows. Im going to give up now and reinstall windows I think.

    And apparently, this works because in debug mode it changes the port to USB 2, thus confirming that it is a inbuilt windows 8 USB3 driver problem.

    http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/19/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&docid=627261

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-05T18:25:17+00:00

    Hi Billy,

    Did you make any changes to the computer prior to the issue?

    Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (Code 43) Let is try the following steps.

    Method 1:

    Open the Hardware and Devices troubleshooter by swiping in from the right edge of the screen, tapping Search (or if you're using a mouse, pointing to the upper-right corner of the screen, moving the mouse pointer down, and then clicking Search), entering hardware and devices in the search box, tapping or clicking Settings, and then tapping or clicking Find and fix problems with devices.‌  You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

    Method 2: Remove and reinstall all USB controllers. Follow these steps:

    a)    Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc in the run box box and press OK.

    b)    Expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.

    c)    Right-click every device under the Universal Serial Bus controllers node, and then click Uninstall to remove them one at a time.

    d)    Restart the computer, and then reinstall the USB controllers.

    e)    Plug in the removable USB device, and then test to make sure that the issue is resolved.

    Post us the results once you try the above steps.

    I did this, but port still dead.

    Yes this started with ASUS Z87-Deluxe/i7-4770k System with Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit and Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. I'm waiting for a fix from Microsoft because ASUS had recommend Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit to repair the USB 2 & 3 Issues. I had the same USB Device on ASUS P6T/ i7-920 System and did not have the issues of Not enough resources message. Removing and restarting did not Help. The issue of resource message is not display on ever Started Up.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments