Windows 8 says no audio devices installed!

Anonymous
2012-10-29T10:21:41+00:00

Windows 8 says no  audio devices installed, but before on win7 all works excellent. Also HDMI device not loaded. Installed on ASUS U24E notebook, with realtek soundcard, I try use volume meter troubleshoot sound problems, but it says all is fine :O and no audio devices exist.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T05:18:13+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft community!

You've reached the right forum for your question. As I understand that you are getting message no audio devices installed.

Method 1: Step 1: Follow the steps provided below to uninstall the Audio drivers.

a) In the start menu type ‘device manager’, click on settings and then click on ‘device manger’

b) Expand ‘Sound Video and Game Controllers” and right-click on ‘High Definition Audio Device and select ‘uninstall’.

**Step 2:**Follow these steps to install the drivers in compatibility mode and check if that helps.

a) Download the Audio drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

b) Right-click on the driver and click on ‘properties’.

c) Click on the ‘compatibility’ tab and check the box ‘Run this program in compatibility mode for’ and select Windows 7 operating system from the drop down.

d) Click on ‘Apply’ and click ‘OK’ and run the file to install it.

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&s=371&m=U24E&os=30&hashedid=p4vz2MZqMstldQdZ

Method 2: Check if audio devices are set to default.

a.      Press “Windows Key + C” to open a “Charms Bar”

b.      Go to settings and type control panel and select sound.

c.      Click the Playback tab. Notice the check mark next to the default device. For most users, the default device is Speakers. Make sure that your audio settings are configured as expected. Follow these steps:

d.       On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Properties, click the Advanced tab, and make sure that the Default Format is set to the value that you expect. When you finish, close this window to return to the previous window.

e.      On the Playback tab, select the playback device, click Configure, and then make sure the configurations are set correctly.

f.      Select the sound device that you want as the default sound device, and then click Set Default.

g.      Click OK to save your settings and to close the Sound dialog box.   

Also refer: No sound in Windows

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/no-sound-help#no-sound=windows-8&v1h=win8tab1&v2h=win7tab1&v3h=winvistatab1&v4h=winxptab1

Hope this information is helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-08-13T03:59:00+00:00

    Cannot find audio device on my computer. Cannot use voice for search in Windows 10.

    Yes, I have exactly the same problem.  Somehow my audio device/drivers whatever have been uninstalled.  I have tried Sulshil's solution and had the same difficulty because there is no audio device installed, and I can't locate one using the show disabled devices either.

    Sound works fine with an external USB Logitech headphones/mike device, and *that* shows up if I go to Control Panel/Sound, and the red x on my sound icon vanishes as well. But as soon as disconnect it the red x is back and there are no sound devices installed/listed in Control Panel/sound.

    The only thing I have done that's any different in the last couple of days is to

    (a)  install AdBreak and then uninstall it (because it drove me crazy, because it didn't "remember" which sites I had whitelisted). 

    (b) disable some add-ons that I never use e.g. Bing.  But even if I accidentally disabled the sound card, it would show up in the show disabled list, wouldn't it?

    So I suspect that there is a Windows system upgrade lurking behind this problem.  (I have good virus protection Malware Bytes and it scans regularly automatically).  I have auto updates installed and I cannot think of anything else that might magically remove my sound card for me.

    My laptop is a Toshiba Ultrabook running Win 8.1.

    PS Wouldn't it be nice if a Microsoft Customer Service officer responded to this issue instead of leaving the community to flounder around...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-08T17:01:36+00:00

    Cannot find audio device on my computer. Cannot use voice for search in Windows 10.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-05-14T23:33:36+00:00

    Windows 8 says no  audio devices installed, but before on win7 all works excellent. Also HDMI device not loaded. Installed on ASUS U24E notebook, with realtek soundcard, I try use volume meter troubleshoot sound problems, but it says all is fine :O and no audio devices exist.

    Is the sound icon showing red cross mark?

    Let's try Vijay B's second step first, that will resolve really quick. You would not require to uninstall. I have seen this error maximum on Windows 8 on old laptops and system. This is because manufacturer has not updated latest audio driver, compatible for Windows 8. 

    a.      Press “Windows Key + C” to open a “Charms Bar” 

    b.      Go to settings and type control panel and select sound.

    Or u can also click on speaker icon thts on bottom right.

    select Playback Devices, open it.

    The playback device will be empty, as there is no audio installed.

    Right click on tht empty page and u will see option coming up as- Show disabled devices.

    Enable the device. You'll get the audio.

    Any doubts, just reply back.

    Sushil Salvi

    also at *** Email address is removed for privacy ***

    Sushil, Re your alternate method: how am I be enabling the device as I do not see option anywhere?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-03-06T16:21:24+00:00

    I searched and couldn't find anything in this forum that works for me either. The Devices I connected to via HDMI such as Samsung TV used to show up on Playback device but it doesn't show up after Window 8.1 update. I couldn't see my device under Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs nor Sound, Video and game controller. However, I noticed that under System devices > High Definition Audio Controller icon was marked with yellow icon. I right clicked and uninstalled it. Then I clicked "Scan for hardware change". Magically, my device shows up in Playback device and under Device Manager > Audio inputs and outputs. Hope this solves your problem.

    Steve

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments