How do I show folder size column in Windows 7 Explorer?

Anonymous
2012-09-04T16:33:02+00:00

I have looked everywhere for adding the column to show folder size in Windows 7.  When a folder is deleted to the recycle bin, the folder size is shown in the "Size" column.  How do I mimic the recycle bin settings for all Windows Explorer viewing?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Accessibility

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-09-04T19:03:09+00:00

It's supposed to be a resource drag so it was removed,

There are some other third party utilities that are compatible with win-7 listed here,

http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/26640-folder-size-windows-explorer.html

If you use the Arrow key the popup description/ tool tip will appear automatically without the use of a mouse to hover.

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-11-21T11:29:28+00:00

    Just found a great open source work on windows 32 and 64 ! https://sourceforge.net/projects/foldersize/?source=directory

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-07-10T20:13:51+00:00

    why couldn't msft add an opton to show folder size?

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2014-06-07T16:18:06+00:00

    Allow me to rephrase…

    There is not currently an option in Windows 7 to show “FOLDER Size”.  There is a built in option to show “Size”, but this built in column heading (in the view setting “Details”) does not load folder sizes unless viewing in the recycle bin (?!?!?).  The column heading “Size” will display the size of file within a folder, but will not show the size of a folder.

    Here is an example of what I run across on a daily (if not hourly) basis:

    I open a folder which contains many folders which have been created as templates since we use the same format for each project we work on.  At first glance, it is difficult to understand what (if any) information is within the set of folders unless I either a.) open each one up to view the contents, b.) hover over each one to see the contents, or c.) right click and choose properties for the contents.  This is very time consuming when there could be 10 to 15 folders to go through for each project and I might work on 5 to 10 projects in any given day.  If there is an option to view folder sizes, the task of finding data is much faster since I won’t waste my time clicking on a folder that doesn’t have any data.  There is a 3rd party program called FolderSize (previously used with Windows XP), but it doesn’t work with Windows 7.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2014-06-07T15:26:58+00:00

    The answer is simple.  Buy a mac.  I have both Macs and PCs on my desk.  I had FolderSize in XP but for the life of me I could never understand why they got rid of it in Windows 7.

    So to answer the question.....Mac OSX has this.  Sorry.  Best solution.  When I view network shares on the Mac side, I can see what I need to see.  Such a bummer and such a workaround.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments