Missing CD/DVD Drive for Windows 8 Professional

Anonymous
2012-10-29T10:13:32+00:00

The CD/DVD Drive is detected in the BIOS Setup but when it boots to Windows the drive seemed to be missing and not working. Whenever I insert a media for playback it won't work. I did check under the Device Manager to troubleshoot the missing CD/DVD drive to no avail. Does anyone have encountered the same problem? Thank you for your kind assistance.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T09:17:42+00:00

Hi,

As I understand the issue, the CD\DVD drive is not recognized in windows explorer. I also see that CD\DVD drive is detected in BIOS.

Do you get any error message?

Method 1:

I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps.

a) Right click on the Left Bottom Corner (Start Menu).

b) Run Command Prompt as an Administrator.

c) Type cmd in Windows 8 Metro UI and press cltr+shift+enter.

d) Type following and say enter

reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Controller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

e) Reboot the system.

f) Verify if the problem has been resolved.

Method 2:

If the issue persists run hardware and troubleshooter and check.

a) Press “Windows Key + R”, type Control Panel.

b) Then type “Troubleshooter” in the Search box and hit enter.

c) Select “Hardware and Sound” from the Troubleshooter Window.

d) Select “Hardware and Devices”.

**Method 3:**If the issue persists I would suggest you to follow these steps, uninstall and re-install the CD/DVD ROM drivers in compatibility mode and check if it helps.

Note: Download the drivers from the Manufacturer’s website and install it.a) Press Windows Key + R, **** type devmgmt.msc.b) Expand the CD/DVD ROM drivers, click on the drivers.c) Click on properties, click on uninstall tab.d) Click OK.e) Right-click on the driver executable/installer file**.f)** Click on Properties and select the Compatibility tab.g) Click the checkbox before Run this program in Compatibility modefor option and select Windows 7.h) In the list-down box; then try installing the device driver via Run as administrator.

Give this a go; I’m confident you will find what you need here. But if you face any further issue please reply back to this post and I'll be happy to assist you further.

Was this answer helpful?

30+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

48 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-04-05T04:01:48+00:00

    I had this same problem when I first installed Windows 8 Pro on my Toshiba laptop. After a few weeks I was able to get the compatible drivers needed from the Toshiba website to properly reinstall my CD/DVD driver. It's been working for a while but I came across a problem with my iTunes when I go to open it, a message pops up with this:

    The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes.

    I did uninstall iTunes and reinstalled it, restared my computer, went to open iTunes again and the same message appeared. I went to the apple website to see if I could get any troubleshooting on the issue but have not been able to get any answers and I don't want to be charged to make a phone call to their experts to talk about it. I know iTunes is not a Windows program, but my computer was acting fine up until I installed Windows 8 Pro, which I already tested beforehand and it said it was compatible with my computer. Can you please help me or at least point me in the right direction as to how I can go about fixing this issue. Thanks

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-12-27T12:00:44+00:00

    i'm trying to follow these instructions but access is denied in the command prompt.  how do i sign in as administrator?  i get this message Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19),  dvd drive is  tsstcorp cddvdw sn-208ab. i've tried to reinstall the software and update drivers etc.  rollback driver is not an option.  i've just upgraded to windows 8.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-12-26T09:15:18+00:00

    2 weeks I have been searching for a fix to this problem and your's fixed it. Method 1 worked perfect. This should be stickied or put in the Microsoft Help section, Since its the number one thing people seem to be having an issue with. Everyone I know Has this problem with there CD/DVD Drives when upgrading to Windows 8.

    All I have to say is Thank You so much for this ;)

    You are the best.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-11-03T18:04:48+00:00

    Method 1 worked perfectly for me. Too bad I had already bought a new DVD drive and replaced the old one as I just assumed it had died.

    I can't imagine how a non-tech person would manage to fix this issue though.

    Gord

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments