Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...
Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt
CMD> bootrec /scanos
CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd
CMD> bootrec /fixmbr
CMD> bootrec /fixboot
Reboot.
This browser is no longer supported.
Upgrade to Microsoft Edge to take advantage of the latest features, security updates, and technical support.
When I boot my Windows 8 laptop (see details below), it displays this message:
Recovery
Your PC needs to be repaired
A required device isn't connected or can't be accessed.
Error code: 0xc0000225
[ A text saying I should use recovery tools on my installation media to fix the issue. ]
Press Enter to try again
Press F8 for Start-up Settings
Press Esc for UEFI Firmware Settings
If I press Enter or F8, the central part of the message changes to:
The application or operating system couldn't be loaded because a required file is missing or contains errors.
File: \Windows\system32\winload.efi
Error code: 0xc0000225
My specific situation:
I have an ASUS UX32VD (R4002H) bought just days ago with Windows 8 preinstalled. I was going to swap the internal HDD for an SSD and was messing with the partitions to make them fit into the smaller SSD before cloning. I am not sure exactly what operation I did prior to the crash, but I probably tried to move a partition (which probably was unnecessary anyway).
I have not made recovery disks (yeah, I know).
When I started SystemRescueCD on the laptop and ran testdisk (for the first time in my life), the partitions seemed OK (to my eye), except for something called Backup Boot(sector|loader|?) that was marked as Bad on one of the partitions. I fixed that, to no avail.
I have no physical representation of a serial number (is that a thing of the past?) and I don't know anything about it being somewhere on the disk. I have no installation media, I didn't get anything like that with the computer.
I have contacted ASUS support, but the answer wasn't very technical.
My obvious question:
How can I get out of this mess? I would prefer if I could repair the partition table or whatever is wrong and get back into the installed OS, but if that is not possible, how can I reinstall Windows 8?
If I need to run a system repair distro from a USB stick and run command line programs, that's no problem.
Thanks!
Original title : I get “Your PC needs to be repaired” and “Error code: 0xc0000225” in Windows 8: how can I fix it?
Update:
I have resolved this issue. What I did was a combination of the advice on this page:
http://qliktips.blogspot.se/2012/11/fix-windows-8-boot-issue.html
and setting the correct attributes and properties on the various partitions and volumes using FDISK. I had a strange partition that I removed and one or more volumes was of the wrong type (GUID).
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...
Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt
CMD> bootrec /scanos
CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd
CMD> bootrec /fixmbr
CMD> bootrec /fixboot
Reboot.
All well and good, if you have media and hours on hand...
My computer has been churning away reinstalling for over 2 hours now...it says it is at 52%. And when that is done, I will need to upgrade back to Windows 10. And then reinstall all of my programs.
At least I have an old XP computer that never has failed in over a decade, so I can come on here and complain :)
If I do this, and hopefully fix the problem on my Surface Pro 3, will it do anything to my data? I have some very important, almost irreplaceable files on there I can't afford to lose. I doubt that it will effect my data or internal memory but it'd understandably be kindof a huge punch to the gut for my important files to just vanish when my tablet/computer turns back on.
Boot from a Windows 8 Recovery Media...
Trouble Shoot -> Advanced Options -> Command Prompt
CMD> bootrec /scanos
CMD> bootrec /rebuildbcd
CMD> bootrec /fixmbr
CMD> bootrec /fixboot
Reboot.
So , how do i do this? Will this fix it?