Highlight any other drive before ejecting (or just pulling the USB drive out) and it doesn't close. This only happens when the USB is highlighted as File Explorer can no longer see the drive.
How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device
How do I disable windows explorer closing when removing usb device?
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
42 answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2017-05-16T15:36:44+00:00 -
Anonymous
2015-08-12T20:36:35+00:00 I understand this is the coded default behavior. It is clever, but annoying.
I want it to perform just like when a folder is deleted. The focus moves up to the next available folder. But the explorer does not close.
Should be an option, at least.
It's the simplest and most logical option & should be the default.
-
Anonymous
2013-05-09T16:31:23+00:00 No matter what the disk the windows explorer window closes when it is removed.
This seems to be a hardcoded behavior.
Another stupid windows trick.
-
Anonymous
2013-05-08T16:48:12+00:00 Right click and click on Eject.
-
Anonymous
2012-05-05T18:25:07+00:00 Can you open the Action Center on the taskbar > Maintenance > View reliability history > View all problem reports
Can you right-click on a few of the "Windows Explorer" "Stopped working" errors > View technical details
What are the details of the errors?