This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows

Anonymous
2012-04-10T22:27:19+00:00

I tried to repair my Windows 7 Pro X64 system using the System Repair disc I had created after installation and received the message:-

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows."

I then tried to repair using the original installation disc and received the same message.

Eventually I recovered the system from a month old Norton Ghost backup and then re-applied the changes and updates.

After the recovery I created a new system repair disc and booted from that disc only to receive the same message once again.

There is obviously something wrong in the system repair setup.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-15T23:53:10+00:00

Have done some more testing on this issue and have found that if there is more than one HDD on the system then to prevent the occurence of:-

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows."

 the windows system disc has to be on a lower channel than any other disc and must be the first disc in the boot priority list

or

all discs but the system disc should be disabled in the BIOS

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-12T04:02:25+00:00

I have found that if I disable my second HDD in BIOS and leave only the windows system disc then the compatibility problem does not occur.

The 0xc000000e problem with "Repair Your System" from Advanced Boot was solved with the help of Mark Wharton on the Acronis Forum.

Windows 7, "Repair your computer" F8 boot option not working (SOLVED) | Knowledge Base

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-12-22T09:49:20+00:00

Exactly, this is what needs to be done:

Reformatting the drive using a different partition style


To wipe and convert the drive by using Windows Setup


  1. Turn off the PC, and put in the Windows installation DVD or USB key.
  2. Boot the PC to the DVD or USB key in UEFI mode. For more info, see Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode.
  3. When choosing an installation type, select Custom.
  4. On the Where do you want to install Windows? screen, select each of the partitions on the drive, and select Delete. The drive will show a single area of unallocated space.
  5. Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, and reformats the drive using the GPT drive format, and begins the installation.

Don't install after deleting the partition, click the X and then choose repair.

Now you can proceed with image backup...

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-11-22T20:44:58+00:00

    I don't see why some people are talking about boot order. If somebody is booting off a disc then they have already managed to set their BIOS boot order to boot off a disc. And I don't i've ever seen the boot order menu being F8 as suggested by killerinc (though the F8 windows menu is useful). 

    I notice some have mentioned about disabling a second hard drive.  Though I had this error without a second hard drive.

    I managed to get round this error by either

    a)when it says  "System recovery options" and gives two options "use recovery tools" and "restore your computer using.."   Then I chose "restore your computer using.."  Then Next.

    Then closed the next window that came up telling me it couldn't restore from an image or something.

    Then, I got the screen with the buttons like startup repair, system restore, command prompt.

    I might not have been able to run a system restore though..

    b)Another way I got around it was instead of starting up from a usb stick,  just used the F8 windows menu, hit F8 again for advanced one, and chose "Repair your computer".

    Then I got the buttons  startup repair, system restore, command prompt.

    BTW, i'm not sure about this but if getting an error fixed with startup repair, it may be worth doing it again until it says "Startup repair could not detect a problem"

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-08-05T19:39:15+00:00

    [...]I finally found the solution.

    1. You must create a new recovery disk from that EFI partitioned machine.  I was using an old Windows 7 recovery disk[...]

    Hope this helps.

    Fraid not.

    My goal is to recover a damaged partition that won't boot, so creating a recovery disk is not an option.

    Seems MS have created a "recovery" option that is if no value at all. I have followed all the helpful suggestions in this thread and the error persists:

    • remove all other hard drives (there is only one anyway)
    • install the HDD in a lower channel no than anything else (it is in ch 0, the DVD drive is ch 1, there are no other devices)
    • disable UEFI (done)
    • set the HDD as boot priority #1 (done! but then how do you boot off the Windows DVD? Ahah! F12 at boot to bypass boot sequence)

    ...and with that I have run out of options.

    Isn't it nice that Microsoft so helpfully monitors these threads and posts solutions that fix the problems people have?

    ** EDIT: FIXED!! - Rule of thumb: don't post to forums in anger. Some time after writing the above I realised there was one more option: try booting with the 64-bit version of the Windows install DVD, and "voila". Problem solved.

    The sarcastic comment above still stands however. M$ continues to make BEEEELIONS of $$$ out of us and the software remains approximately as well supported as many Linux distros.

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments