This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of Windows

Anonymous
2012-04-10T22:27:19+00:00

I tried to repair my Windows 7 Pro X64 system using the System Repair disc I had created after installation and received the message:-

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows."

I then tried to repair using the original installation disc and received the same message.

Eventually I recovered the system from a month old Norton Ghost backup and then re-applied the changes and updates.

After the recovery I created a new system repair disc and booted from that disc only to receive the same message once again.

There is obviously something wrong in the system repair setup.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-15T23:53:10+00:00

Have done some more testing on this issue and have found that if there is more than one HDD on the system then to prevent the occurence of:-

"This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows."

 the windows system disc has to be on a lower channel than any other disc and must be the first disc in the boot priority list

or

all discs but the system disc should be disabled in the BIOS

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-04-12T04:02:25+00:00

I have found that if I disable my second HDD in BIOS and leave only the windows system disc then the compatibility problem does not occur.

The 0xc000000e problem with "Repair Your System" from Advanced Boot was solved with the help of Mark Wharton on the Acronis Forum.

Windows 7, "Repair your computer" F8 boot option not working (SOLVED) | Knowledge Base

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-12-22T09:49:20+00:00

Exactly, this is what needs to be done:

Reformatting the drive using a different partition style


To wipe and convert the drive by using Windows Setup


  1. Turn off the PC, and put in the Windows installation DVD or USB key.
  2. Boot the PC to the DVD or USB key in UEFI mode. For more info, see Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode.
  3. When choosing an installation type, select Custom.
  4. On the Where do you want to install Windows? screen, select each of the partitions on the drive, and select Delete. The drive will show a single area of unallocated space.
  5. Select the unallocated space and click Next. Windows detects that the PC was booted into UEFI mode, and reformats the drive using the GPT drive format, and begins the installation.

Don't install after deleting the partition, click the X and then choose repair.

Now you can proceed with image backup...

Was this answer helpful?

3 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

39 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-02-01T18:00:11+00:00

    Solved - Just confirming that I also solved by getting drives right in BIOS.

    I had two drives - one for windows (C) , other for data (D)

    I saw that windows disk manager had data drive (D) as 1st drive.

    Found in BIOS that data drive was 1st drive boot option , windows drive was 2nd option

    I made windows drive 1st option and disabled 2nd option

    Afterwards - Windows disk manager had Windows drive as 1st drive

    and recovery boot disk had no errors

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2014-12-13T05:34:37+00:00

    I had this problem and kept trying to follow the suggestions here.

    In the end, I was going to give up restoring from the image, but rather re-install windows 7 and recover files from backup.  So I booted with the installation media and went ahead with installation preparation step.  That's whey I realized that the disk had GPT partitions and the installer said Windows can't be installed there.  I erased the whole disk and re-partitioned the drive, then cancelled the installation and went back to restoration process. This time, I was getting the right responses and could proceed to restoration.

    This version of System Recovery Options is not compatible with the version of windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows.?

    How misleading the message is -- nothing to do with:

    1. " System Recovery Options" - Were there any options to choose from other than selecting the keyboard input method?
    2. "the version of windows you are trying to repair" -- again, nothing to do with it.
    3. "a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of windows" -- Wrong again!

    And microsoft doesn't have their answers/responses on this "answers".microsoft.com.

    I hope this post helps someone who is in a desperate situation.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments