Task manager shows high disk usage above 95%

Anonymous
2012-10-29T09:18:27+00:00

Just updated to windows 8 from windows 7, my task manager shows high disk usage.

I have 150 Gb free HD space

4 Gb ram

Intel Core i5 -2520M CPU @ 2.50GHZ

Please advice

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Performance and system failures

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2014-04-01T14:22:34+00:00

Hi

See the post http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-performance/windows-8-keeps-slows-down-to-100-disk-usage-and/cd787f8d-e7b4-4872-aecb-6f0cd15ad942

Towards the end there are couple of posts by Jeremy on how this can be solved by cloning the HDD and formatting it and recloning. I too have this problem on windows 8 / 8.1 machine since more than one year but have not tried the solution suggested by Jeremy yet. I have tried several other tricks.

At least of couple of persons have confirmed that this works

Was this answer helpful?

20+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-10-30T05:54:58+00:00

Hi,

Thank you for posting the question in Microsoft Community! As I understand, you are facing performance issues on the computer**.** I understand that it must be frustrating, but rest assured, we are here to help fix the issue and guide you in the right direction.

Method 1:

I would suggest you to restart the computer in clean boot and check if the issue persists.

Follow these steps to start the computer in clean boot:

Step 1:

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) Click the ‘Boot’ tab and uncheck ‘Safe Boot’ option.

d) On the ‘General’ tab, click to select the option ‘Selective startup’, and then click to clear the option Load startup items check box.

e) On the ‘Services’ tab, click to select the ‘Hide all Microsoft services’ check box, and then click ‘Disable all’.

f) On the ‘Startup’ tab, click ‘Open Task Manager’. In the Task Manager windowunder startup tab, right click on each startup item which are enabled and select ‘Disable’.

g) Click ‘OK’, and then click Restart.


Step 2: Enable half of the servicesa. Follow steps 1a and 1b to start the System Configuration utility.

b. Click the Services tab, and then click to select the Hide all Microsoft services check box.

c. Click to select half of the check boxes in the Service list.

d. Click OK, and then click Restart.


Step 3: Determine whether the problem returnsIf the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Service list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 2. In step 2, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Service list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one service is selected in the Service list, and you still experience the problem, the selected service causes the problem. Go to step 6. If no service causes this problem, go to step 4.


Step 4: Enable half of the Startup itemsIf no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.


Step 5: Determine whether the problem returnsIf the problem still occurs, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, click to clear half of the check boxes that you originally selected in the Startup Item list.

If the problem does not occur, repeat step 1 and step 4. In step 4, select only half of the remaining check boxes that are cleared in the Startup Item list. Repeat these steps until you have selected all the check boxes.

If only one startup item is selected in the Startup Item list, and you still experience the problem, the startup item that is selected in the list is the service that is causing the problem. Go to step 6.

If no startup item causes this problem, a Microsoft service most likely causes the problem. To determine which Microsoft service may be causing the problem, repeat step 1 and step 2 without selecting the Hide all Microsoft services check box in either step.


Step 6: Resolve the problemAfter you determine the startup item or the service that causes the problem, contact the program manufacturer to determine whether the problem can be resolved. Or, run the System Configuration utility, and then click to clear the check box for the problem item.


Step 7:

Note: After you have finished troubleshooting, follow these steps to boot to normal startup.

a) Press the ‘Windows + R’ key on the keyboard.

b) In the ‘Run’ windows type ’MSCONFIG’ and click ‘Ok’.

c) On the ‘General’ tab, click the ‘Normal Startup’ option, and then click ‘OK’.

d) When you are prompted to restart the computer, click ‘Restart’.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to refer to the link and check if it helps:

Ways to improve your PC's performance

Improve performance by optimizing your hard drive

Note:

a.     If the drive is being used by another program, or is formatted using a file system other than NTFS, FAT, or FAT32, it can't be optimized.

b.    Network drives can't be optimized.

c.     If a drive isn't appearing in Optimize Drives, it might be because it contains an error. Try to repair the drive first, and then return to Optimize Drives to try again. For more info, see "To repair a drive" at the end of this article.

Method 3:

Perform SFC (System File Checker) and see if it helps.

a. Right Click at the bottom left hand side corner of desktop (on Start screen).

b. Select Command Prompt (Admin).

c. Type “SFC /scannow” and press Enter.

If you are still facing the issue, please reply and we will be glad to help you.

Thanks.

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-19T08:02:51+00:00

    I have had the exact same symptoms with two different laptops, using entirely different makes of hardware including hard drive and motherboard.  It is limited to Windows 8.

    I have come to the conclusion that it is a fundamental Windows 8 problem and nothing to do with drivers, antivirus, fragmentation or anything else.  I guess we have to wait for Microsoft to fix it and go back to Windows 7 in the meantime.

    It gets my hackles up when the OS stops working for the user and does its own thing without asking and no way of finding out why or stopping it.  Imagine if you went to drive your car and it said 'No, I'm busy.  I'm not telling you why or for how long so you might as well walk.'

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-04-24T15:33:04+00:00

    I have the exact same problem SYSTEM.EXE running wild - it is Windows 8 processes that are hammering the C drive in my case.

    BTW - my system is loaded and almost brand new - I7 3770K running at 4.3 Ghz, 16 GB of fast RAM and the C drive is a SSD drive - AHCI mode. This problem is VERY frustrating since I invested alot to make this system a speed demon (and it is when the C drive isnt getting killed by SYSTEM.EXE).

    I am about ready to dump Windows 8 since I didnt have this problem in Windows 7 (plus to be honest - Windows 8 and the metro interface on a desktop without a touch screen is more of a hassle that it is worth). What I am trying to understand is what the **** is windows doing that needs to hit the hard drive so much???? Why is it so Random too - I can have a TON of things running (crashplan backups, outlook, a word doc, utorrent, and handbrake transcoding a blu-ray movie down to a format more suited to playback on my iphone. CPU's nearly railed - cranking out 400 frames per sec during the transcode which is amazing - and the system responds fine. Other times I am just browsing the web and the SYSTEM.EXE goes crazy and locks up the C drive with the CPU's sitting at 2 - 3%

    I ran Passmark disk bench mark on the disk and I am getting reasonable performance for the drive so it seems like a driver / disk mode isnt the issue or I would expect the drive to be slow.

    I am going to dig into the driver issue for now because what I can't understand is my laptop (much less capable system BTW - core 2 duo, 5 GB ram, a slow SSD ) I also upgraded to Windows 8 and it isnt doing this. Another I5 laptop we own with a spinning drive also doesnt have the problem.

    BTW - also did full virus scans with 2 different scanners to eliminate that possibility too.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-04-23T06:22:33+00:00

    I have 320 Gb HDD with more than 200 gb free space

    3 Gb ram/Sony vaio VPCEB44EN

    Intel Core i3 -380M CPU @ 2.53GHZ

    and window 8 OS( 32 bit on 64 bit mechine) and it is running very slow ....priar to window 8   , i am using win 7 (64bit) ,formated many time and  install fresh window ... but it is still running very very slow ..

    is there any problem in HDD ?

    what is mode of checking HDD bad sector

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments