can't change windows update settings even though I am the administrator

Anonymous
2012-03-12T02:33:33+00:00

When I try to change the windows update settings, the options are greyed out and I get the message at the top "Some settings are managed by your system administrator."  However, I am the system administrator.  Creating another account and designating it the system administrator account does not help.

Windows for home | Windows 11 | Settings

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-03-25T10:20:50+00:00

This was the only way I found to fix this:

Be very careful editing windows registry

For Windows Vista/7

Click Start and type regedit in the Search Programs and Files field. Then right-click on regedit in the programs list and select Run as Administrator.

Within the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.

On the right side of the window, locate AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate. Delete both of these registry keys.

Reboot

You should now be able to edit Windows Update

Was this answer helpful?

300+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-06-06T08:04:26+00:00

    This approach resolved the issue for me. Thanks "AlexVinyar".

    Was this answer helpful?

    2 people found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-09T03:28:54+00:00

    This was the only way I found to fix this:

    Be very careful editing windows registry

    For Windows Vista/7

    Click Start and type regedit in the Search Programs and Files field. Then right-click on regedit in the programs list and select Run as Administrator.

    Within the Registry Editor, navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU.

    On the right side of the window, locate AUOptions and NoAutoUpdate. Delete both of these registry keys.

    Reboot

    You should now be able to edit Windows Update

    Simple AND effective...perfect!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-17T19:36:17+00:00

    I tried the methods below this one, and found them not to work. 

    celexa your method worked perfectly and was quite simple. Thank you so much!

    Was this answer helpful?

    1 person found this answer helpful.
    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-03-12T21:34:26+00:00

    Thanks for the reply!  The version is Windows Professional.  The computer is connected to my wireless network for internet purposes, but is not otherwise a part of a network or domain (as my work desktop is, for example). 

    I completed Method 1 - all of the settings you described (in both folders) were already set to "Not Configured."

    I tried Method 2 as well - I have the same problem when I log in under the built-in Administrator account.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments