Can I use a recovery disc for a different computer?

Anonymous
2012-07-17T15:21:31+00:00

Hello 

I have two Dell computers (Dell Inspiron 5100 and a dell Demsion 4600) both (I believe) was bought in the same year both are still running today, however the dell inspiron 5100 runs to slow to get anything done and when I went looking for a recover disc I only found the dell drivers and program disc, ect but what did I not find? The Windows XP Home Edition operating system disc, but I found one for the Dell Deminsion 4600. So can I use a Dell Demsion 4600  Windows XP Reinstallation CD to restore a Dell Inspiron 5100?

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Install and upgrade

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-07-17T18:51:19+00:00

You can restore your computer this way if you wish.

Save all your Documents to a external source of transfer them to the other computer first.

Then follow these instructions which are almost identical depending on the age of your computer.

Using Dell PC Restore by Symantec

NOTE: Dell PC Restore is available only on computers purchased in certain regions.

Use Dell PC Restore by Symantec only as the last method to restore your operating system. PC Restore

restores your hard drive to the operating state it was in when you purchased the computer. Any programs or

files added since you received your computer—including data files—are permanently deleted from the hard

drive. Data files include documents, spreadsheets, e-mail messages, digital photos, music files, and so on.

If possible, back up all data before using PC Restore.

NOTICE: Using PC Restore permanently deletes all data on the hard drive and removes any applications or drivers

installed after you received your computer. If possible, back up the data before using PC Restore.

To use PC Restore:

1 Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

2 Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.

If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish restarting, and then restart the

computer again.

NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot in the following step.

3 On the next screen that appears, click Restore.

4 On the next screen, click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6–10 minutes to complete.

5 When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

Dell PC Restore

Using PC Restore:

Turn on the computer.

During the boot process, a blue bar with www.dell.com appears at the top of the screen.

Immediately upon seeing the blue bar, press <Ctrl><F11>.

If you do not press <Ctrl><F11> in time, let the computer finish starting, and then restart the computer again.

  NOTICE: If you do not want to proceed with PC Restore, click Reboot.

Click Restore and click Confirm.

The restore process takes approximately 6 to 10 minutes to complete.

When prompted, click Finish to reboot the computer.

  NOTE: Do not manually shut down the computer. Click Finish and let the computer completely reboot.

When prompted, click Yes.

The computer restarts. Because the computer is restored to its original operating state, the screens that appear, such as the End User License Agreement, are the same ones that appeared the first time the computer was turned on.

Click Next.

The System Restore screen appears and the computer restarts.

After the computer restarts, click OK.

Was this answer helpful?

0 comments No comments

43 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2012-07-20T00:09:26+00:00

    With all due respect, you are mistaken. I am talking about INSTALLATION CDs, not recovery disks. Dell-branded installation CDs are generic and interchangeable. Any tech who has worked on Dell PCs would be well acquainted with this fact.

    I am not sure you read my post thoroughly! Yes, a Recovery Disk for a Dimension will NOT work on an Inspiron. However, Dell-branded Windows XP "Reinstallation" CDs are a different animal completely. :-)

    Did you even read the statement regarding piracy and softlifting/copying?

    The goal of Product Activation is to reduce a form of piracy known as "casual copying" or "softlifting". Casual copying is a form of piracy characterized by the sharing of software between people in a way that infringes on the software's end user license agreement (EULA). For instance, Windows XP is primarily licensed for use on a single PC and without purchasing additional licenses cannot be installed on other machines.

    Most licenses allow for software to be re-installed and activated on the same PC an unlimited number of times. To ensure that you are using your license properly, please see your end user license agreement or product use rights for details on a specific product.

    And, on the Recovery CD I have it specifically states:  "Do not loan, lend or otherwise transfer...."

    You'll find the same statement written within the EULA which is the license agreement on the installation rom you see before you click "Accept"  in order to install Windows.  Within that agreement it does state.  If you don't accept, do not install....

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2012-07-19T23:56:13+00:00

    With all due respect, you are mistaken. I am talking about INSTALLATION CDs, not recovery disks. Dell-branded installation CDs are generic and interchangeable. Any tech who has worked on Dell PCs would be well acquainted with this fact.

    Furthermore, this would be permitted by Microsoft since the license is the only thing that matters. Using another CD does not invalidate the license!!!! Microsoft allows us to make a safety copy of a CD as long as it is used within the confines of the EULA. If I purchase two Dell PCs that each come with Windows XP and each come with IDENTICAL Dell-branded Windows XP Reinstallation CDs, and they get shuffled and I don't know which CD came with which PC, it would not matter since they are identical.

    I am not sure you read my post thoroughly! Yes, a Recovery Disk for a Dimension will NOT work on an Inspiron. However, Dell-branded Windows XP "Reinstallation" CDs are a different animal completely. :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-07-19T21:14:47+00:00

    I have lost the Windows XP Reinstallation CD for my Dell Inspiron 5100, however I still have my Dell Deminion 4600 Windows XP Reinstallation CD, My question is can I use the Deminsion's  Windows XP Reinstallation CD on my Inspiron, sorry for the confusion.

    The answer is yes, in the event that the Dimension 4600 and Inspiron 5100 both have licenses to run Windows XP Home. These CDs are identical.

    Not true.  There would be differences between models that is why one is the Inspiron 5100 and the other is the Dimension 4600.

    Ken Blake gave you the correct answer.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-07-19T21:02:14+00:00

    I have lost the Windows XP Reinstallation CD for my Dell Inspiron 5100, however I still have my Dell Deminion 4600 Windows XP Reinstallation CD, My question is can I use the Deminsion's  Windows XP Reinstallation CD on my Inspiron, sorry for the confusion.

    Windows XP is primarily licensed for use on a single PC and without purchasing additional licenses cannot be installed on other machines.

    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/piracy/mpa.aspx

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments