I am trying to reset windows xp back to original settings but I am missing the file winnt32.exe. Where can I go to get the download

Anonymous
2012-02-25T21:56:09+00:00

I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-03-12T23:22:01+00:00

You can download the IT version of service pack 3 from HERE. Save it to your desktop. Use a file extraction software such as WnRar to extract the service pack 3 file that you downloaded to extract the files to C drive. Once the files have been extracted click Start > Run and paste the below command > Click Ok. This should install recovery console.

C:\i386\winnt32.exe /cmdcons

Also, the i386 folder will contain the winnt32.exe file you were asking for.

Was this answer helpful?

1 person found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-03-05T01:32:26+00:00

    I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

    Like katherine, i want to reset my windows xp and back my original settings but i am missing the file too. but i've followed the steps , download the service pack 3. it's done and extracted. and it's saved in my local disk, folder named i386 and when i run the winnt32.exe it says "The installation source path specified to setup is invalid. Contact your system administrator." how to solve this error? please help. and also sorry for the grammar cuz i'm just 14yrs old and from Philippines.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-02-04T10:41:31+00:00

    I do not have winnt32.exe in the i386 folder. My computer acts very strange at times. It drags, freezes, and loads things I do not click on.

    Are you using a disc to "reset Windows... "?

    I do not have cd and System Restore does not go back past this month.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2012-04-15T00:38:24+00:00

    maybe something went array...

    ...or awry?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2012-04-15T00:36:31+00:00

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments