Error message: Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration and unable to connect to Internet after installing Windows 8.

Anonymous
2012-11-02T13:29:58+00:00

Original title: Internet is not working after Installing Windows 8. Please Help

I installed Windows 8 a week ago, which had Windows Vista. When I was using Vista, I had no problems with the Internet I had. But soon after I installed Windows 8 the problem started. The connection hardly stands for 2 minutes. Moreover it doesn't navigate beyond my home page. After troubleshooting the result came as Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration. This really makes me frustrated. after all I was eager to browse through windows 8, this problem makes me think really bad. If anybody could help me, it will be grateful to you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-26T18:19:59+00:00

Respected Manorajan,

Me too had d same problem but i solved it later on myself.

Here's it how to :-

1- Make sure u have intel network driver installed i ur windows it pc. Download it ( on any other pc and transfer and install it into this one) and install it in ur respective windows 8 pc. Here's the link to download it :- http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/INTEL/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-172-for-Windows-8.shtml

Den download realtek lan driver from here install it http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Intel-Realtek-LAN-Driver-80030730-for-Windows-8.shtml..if in installing theres any error ignore it..dont panic and reinstall..as it will already be installed

2-unplug your LAN cable and wireless connection 

3-Go to network and sharing center den on d left side click on change adapter settings left clik on intel network adapter

4-Go to  "Ethernet Adapter local area connection" properties and deselect '' Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)''

5- select **"**Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

And press Properties button

6- select "Use the following IP address:" option and set this ips

IP= ''ur ip address''

subnet mask=255.255.255.0

default gateway = your router ip  (you can recheck all dis from any other pc having a successful conection wid dis same one by checking the properties of d connection or from any smart phone like any iphone or android mobile if it is used as a wifi too by seeing staus/properties of ur respective wifi name  )

7- from second section select "Use the following DNS server addresses:"

set**"PreferAlternate DNS server:"** your router ip which u entered in ''default gateway'' above. press ok and try to connect through lan then wireless

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-09-14T21:44:22+00:00

    ... and then came Windows 10. Yet AGAIN with the same issues!!!

    How many times have we heard that Microsoft's next OS WILL BE BETTER???

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-22T18:22:33+00:00

    I am a recent free conversion from WIN 8.1 to WIN 10. In an attempt to use my ethernet instead of my wifi, as the install felt was best, I tried most suggestions on this site, as well as a few others I trusted. Nothing worked or seemed to be needed.

    I altered your Method 3 a bit & it's all good now. I have ethernet connection & my wifi is no longer connected 

    1. Press Windows Key + X
    2. Select Command Prompt (Admin)
    3. type ipconfig/release & then press ENTER 
    4. type EXIT then, press enter
    5. Reboot
    6. Waa La!

    Thanks for you help.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-21T08:08:17+00:00

    thank you so much i was really getting stressed out about how i was going to fix this you really helped me. :)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-07-29T06:48:50+00:00

    just switch to window 10 and I am having the same problem.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments