Error message: Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration and unable to connect to Internet after installing Windows 8.

Anonymous
2012-11-02T13:29:58+00:00

Original title: Internet is not working after Installing Windows 8. Please Help

I installed Windows 8 a week ago, which had Windows Vista. When I was using Vista, I had no problems with the Internet I had. But soon after I installed Windows 8 the problem started. The connection hardly stands for 2 minutes. Moreover it doesn't navigate beyond my home page. After troubleshooting the result came as Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration. This really makes me frustrated. after all I was eager to browse through windows 8, this problem makes me think really bad. If anybody could help me, it will be grateful to you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-26T18:19:59+00:00

Respected Manorajan,

Me too had d same problem but i solved it later on myself.

Here's it how to :-

1- Make sure u have intel network driver installed i ur windows it pc. Download it ( on any other pc and transfer and install it into this one) and install it in ur respective windows 8 pc. Here's the link to download it :- http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/INTEL/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-172-for-Windows-8.shtml

Den download realtek lan driver from here install it http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Intel-Realtek-LAN-Driver-80030730-for-Windows-8.shtml..if in installing theres any error ignore it..dont panic and reinstall..as it will already be installed

2-unplug your LAN cable and wireless connection 

3-Go to network and sharing center den on d left side click on change adapter settings left clik on intel network adapter

4-Go to  "Ethernet Adapter local area connection" properties and deselect '' Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)''

5- select **"**Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

And press Properties button

6- select "Use the following IP address:" option and set this ips

IP= ''ur ip address''

subnet mask=255.255.255.0

default gateway = your router ip  (you can recheck all dis from any other pc having a successful conection wid dis same one by checking the properties of d connection or from any smart phone like any iphone or android mobile if it is used as a wifi too by seeing staus/properties of ur respective wifi name  )

7- from second section select "Use the following DNS server addresses:"

set**"PreferAlternate DNS server:"** your router ip which u entered in ''default gateway'' above. press ok and try to connect through lan then wireless

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-19T22:03:02+00:00

                I simply completely shut down my Win8 desktop, and flipped the back power switch

    Me too!  I surfed through all the responses on this issue and decided to try the simplest step FIRST!

    Here's what I did:

    1.  Shut Down Windows 8 PC

    2.  Switch off the power at the wall

    3.  Pull the power cord out of my PC

    4.  Wait for 5 minutes

    5.  Plug power cord back into PC

    6.  Turn on power

    7.  Boot up PC

    I have not had any more issues with my internet connecting on boot up.

    It sounded too simple to be true, but it worked and I didn't have to mess around with drivers, ipconfig etc etc 

    Thank you ForrestLinderman :-)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-12-19T14:16:32+00:00

    Thank you for the help!  This fixed my issues.  However, if you have trouble locating your IP address, search for "run" and type "cmd" then search.  When the black programming box appears, type "ipconfig" (without the "") hit enter and the IP addresses should appear.  Do this on a computer that is working on the network.  You can check to be certain your router's IP address is the routers by typing it in the search bar of a computer connected to the internet and once you search, it should prompt you to set up your router connection.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-12-05T11:36:13+00:00

    I know this is an old thread but I have found a solution that works... so far. For those of you that are suddenly getting the warning flag on your network icon in the system tray, and the troubleshooter gives an error "Ethernet doesn't have a valid IP configuration", "Cannot connect to the default gateway", or isn't able to provide a response at all, here is the solution... After two days of repeatedly getting those errors, this is what I came up with (You must be logged in as an administrator or have administrative privileges for this to work):

    Step 1: Network and Sharing Center > Change Adapter Settings > Select the adapter that has issues (Either right click and select "Disable" or click and select "Disable this network device" in the ribbon depending on your OS version).

    Step 2: Device Manager > Network Adapters > Double click the adapter name > Properties > Power Management > Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device".

    Step 3: Device Manager > Network Adapters > Double click the adapter name > Right click > Uninstall.

    Step 4: Device Manager > Right click > Scan for hardware changes

    If you have followed all of those steps properly you should have regained permanent internet connection via Ethernet. If there is still issues after that, then I'm sorry to say that it is probably a hardware issue.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-09-10T14:42:57+00:00

    A recent software update appears to have resolved the issue. If I experience any further problems, I will post my findings.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments