Error message: Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration and unable to connect to Internet after installing Windows 8.

Anonymous
2012-11-02T13:29:58+00:00

Original title: Internet is not working after Installing Windows 8. Please Help

I installed Windows 8 a week ago, which had Windows Vista. When I was using Vista, I had no problems with the Internet I had. But soon after I installed Windows 8 the problem started. The connection hardly stands for 2 minutes. Moreover it doesn't navigate beyond my home page. After troubleshooting the result came as Ethernet doesn't have a valid ip configuration. This really makes me frustrated. after all I was eager to browse through windows 8, this problem makes me think really bad. If anybody could help me, it will be grateful to you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Internet and connectivity

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2013-02-26T18:19:59+00:00

Respected Manorajan,

Me too had d same problem but i solved it later on myself.

Here's it how to :-

1- Make sure u have intel network driver installed i ur windows it pc. Download it ( on any other pc and transfer and install it into this one) and install it in ur respective windows 8 pc. Here's the link to download it :- http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/INTEL/Intel-Network-Adapter-Driver-172-for-Windows-8.shtml

Den download realtek lan driver from here install it http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/NETWORK-CARD/REALTEK/Intel-Realtek-LAN-Driver-80030730-for-Windows-8.shtml..if in installing theres any error ignore it..dont panic and reinstall..as it will already be installed

2-unplug your LAN cable and wireless connection 

3-Go to network and sharing center den on d left side click on change adapter settings left clik on intel network adapter

4-Go to  "Ethernet Adapter local area connection" properties and deselect '' Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6)''

5- select **"**Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)"

And press Properties button

6- select "Use the following IP address:" option and set this ips

IP= ''ur ip address''

subnet mask=255.255.255.0

default gateway = your router ip  (you can recheck all dis from any other pc having a successful conection wid dis same one by checking the properties of d connection or from any smart phone like any iphone or android mobile if it is used as a wifi too by seeing staus/properties of ur respective wifi name  )

7- from second section select "Use the following DNS server addresses:"

set**"PreferAlternate DNS server:"** your router ip which u entered in ''default gateway'' above. press ok and try to connect through lan then wireless

Was this answer helpful?

50+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

41 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-05-28T05:21:42+00:00

    Thank you very much for posting this.  I had spent a lot of time looking around to find the solution to the same problem.  I'm very grateful!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-03-20T11:36:50+00:00

    dear R.manoranjan,

    i am also facing same problem what your facing. Did u solved your problem? if u got the solution please send me that to my mail id( ******@gmail.com ).

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-02-05T14:27:58+00:00

    I have the same problem, after upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro

    1. What is the make and model of your system?

    Lenovo x220 Tablet

    1. Have you updated the network card drivers to the latest version?

    Yes, used Windows Update and downloaded the latest network drivers from Lenovo website.

    1. What troubleshooting steps did you try?

     Rebooting, new drivers, diagnose settings, setting default gateway

    The adapter worked fine before the Windows 8 upgrade. The wireless network card works fine. This is only related to the LAN Ethernet/wired adapter.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-01-15T19:41:32+00:00

    Hey Setnaffa mPande,

    I did as you said.  I received Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),...

    But after executing the command: pathping www.msn.com

    I receive the error: Unable to resolve target system name www.msn.com

    Do you know why?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments