Printer spooler windows 8 Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Anonymous
2012-11-20T14:33:41+00:00

Just upgraded to Win 8 ENT x64 from Win 7 ENT x64.

I thought, maybe I need to restart the service. Go into Services, look up print spooler and select restart.

But I get an error: 

"Windows Could not start the Print Spooler Service on local computer"

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Okay, so I go into properties and see what the dependencies are"

Image attached:

RPC is running, however, FAX isnt.

Go to Fax and start that. I get the 1068 error

Look into the dependencies there.

Image attached:

Im lost at the moment. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have run sfc/scannow and found no issues.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-21T17:36:53+00:00

i found this somewhere else and this fixed my issue

I had the same issue and I created a batch file that I run as administrator:

CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2015-04-16T15:42:31+00:00

    i found this somewhere else and this fixed my issue

    I had the same issue and I created a batch file that I run as administrator:

    CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

    I try using this and it says that access denied. please help

    Says open service FAILED 5:     ??? no idea

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-04-16T15:40:56+00:00

    i found this somewhere else and this fixed my issue

    I had the same issue and I created a batch file that I run as administrator:

    CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

    WOW! Easy as pie, just pasted to the Command Prompt. Thank You so much!!!!

    Are there spaces or something i am missing?  It says access denied and i am the administrator?? HELP

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-04-16T15:39:03+00:00

    i found this somewhere else and this fixed my issue

    I had the same issue and I created a batch file that I run as administrator:

    CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

    I try using this and it says that access denied. please help

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2015-04-13T15:33:02+00:00

    IN RESPONSE TO timoconnell's post on 21/12/2012

    I had the following error:

    "Windows Could not start the Print Spooler Service on local computer"

    Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

    I tried other's suggestions which did not work, then I used your method and it worked - thanks a million.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments