Printer spooler windows 8 Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Anonymous
2012-11-20T14:33:41+00:00

Just upgraded to Win 8 ENT x64 from Win 7 ENT x64.

I thought, maybe I need to restart the service. Go into Services, look up print spooler and select restart.

But I get an error: 

"Windows Could not start the Print Spooler Service on local computer"

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Okay, so I go into properties and see what the dependencies are"

Image attached:

RPC is running, however, FAX isnt.

Go to Fax and start that. I get the 1068 error

Look into the dependencies there.

Image attached:

Im lost at the moment. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have run sfc/scannow and found no issues.

Please advise.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Devices and drivers

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-12-21T17:36:53+00:00

i found this somewhere else and this fixed my issue

I had the same issue and I created a batch file that I run as administrator:

CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

Was this answer helpful?

6 people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

40 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2013-07-08T04:15:32+00:00

    wow Tim...this was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!!!!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2013-06-21T04:39:15+00:00

    Can you help me create this batch file, please? Where do I type this cmd in? tia, Helen

    On Windows 8:

    Open charms panel, search apps, type cmd

    Right-click on cmd tile and app commands will open at bottom

    Click on "Run as Administrator"

    UAC window will open, click YES

    Administrator: Command Prompt Window will now open

    it should show c:/Windows/system32>

    Type or copy/paste the following:

    CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

    Hit enter and close window.

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2013-06-20T15:21:36+00:00

    Can you help me create this batch file, please? Where do I type this cmd in? tia, Helen

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-06-04T05:29:26+00:00

    i found this somewhere else and this fixed my issue

    I had the same issue and I created a batch file that I run as administrator:

    CMD /K SC CONFIG SPOOLER DEPEND= RPCSS

    Thank you, thank you, thank you.  I have tried everyone else's methods.  None of them worked.  If you are having trouble like I was, right click bottom left corner (windows 8) click on command prompt admin... and viola... success!

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments