The entire user profile/directory can be moved using this method - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4275-user-profiles-relocate-another-partition-disk.html
How to move User folders to 2nd drive in Windows 8?
I am posting on behalf of a customer.
His C drive's a SSD & which is not big enough for all his music,photos,video and download files. Is there a way to move user files to a second drive?
Please comment with any information or suggestions.
Thank you.
Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage
Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.
44 additional answers
Sort by: Most helpful
-
Anonymous
2014-01-12T15:14:13+00:00 Thank You Vijin V for this response. Couple questions...
- Do I have to do this for each folder that I want to move and for each user profile that I create?
- If so, how do I identify which folder belongs to who without using the pathname to identify? e.g D:\Users\JohnDoe\Documents and D:\Users\JaneDoes\Music etc
-
Anonymous
2013-12-28T02:28:08+00:00 Before you move that User Folder look at this, it might save you a look of headache. http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows8_1-windows_install/sorry-it-looks-like-this-pc-cant-run-windows-81/84310e8a-edd3-48d7-af31-0b09666b0c74?page=1&msgId=0840c241-d9c5-4b93-8ee6-b0f9295d1a66&tm=1388197508035 Hope this helps and if you need further assistance post and we will be glad to assist you.
The above opinion is mine and mine alone and doesn't necessarily reflect that of Microsoft, it's employees, or any other member of this forum.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." -John Muir
-
Anonymous
2013-12-27T19:17:30+00:00 Hi Vijin -
I created a fold on "D" named "Owner System Files" and then followed your instructions to move "Owner\My Documents" from "C" to folder created above. When I checked on "D", "Owner System Files" did not appear and "D\My Documents" was there. Is there a way I can create a folder on "D" and then move "My Documents" etc in to it? I'd like to do this to keep things a little neater on "D"
Thanks,
-
Anonymous
2013-12-01T22:19:59+00:00 You have to move all folders over, go to c:\Users%Username%\
There you will see loads of folders, right-click on them one at a time, go to the locations tab and change the location. Once you click ok you will see the folder disappear...