How to move User folders to 2nd drive in Windows 8?

Anonymous
2012-11-12T16:38:04+00:00

I am posting on behalf of a customer.

His C drive's a SSD & which is not big enough for all his music,photos,video and download files. Is there a way to move user files to a second drive?

Please comment with any information or suggestions.

Thank you.

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Files, folders, and storage

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments

44 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2016-01-22T15:33:23+00:00

    I too have the same problem in that I need to move my entire user profile across. I cannot install Dropbox because it tells me I do not have enough space in D

    So I went to the link and am going to be very careful to understand everything 100% before I start

    I got down to this point

    (Change the drive letter in wim:F: to that of your CD/DVD drive, USB stick or virtual drive containing your Windows 8 installation media (DVD/ISO). Notice that installation media has to be available to system when running sysprep. Change Windows version accordingly, Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro, Windows 8.1or Windows 8.1 Pro.

     Here I have a problem in that the new way when you buy a computer it gets pre loaded and people are no longer given OEM disks? What do I do?

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Anonymous
    2015-08-26T21:32:46+00:00

    OMFG yeah I agree with this post! needed to reformat because ALL of my headset mics stopped working (another can of worms!) After reformatting, I ended up with a "user" with my full name on my desktop AND a "user" with my initials in my extra D data drive AND a "user" with my first name in Network. can't right click ->"location" on the desktop user, "location" it's not an option there! WOWW! Also, it looked like all of my files (pics, music, etc.)  were duplicated in 2 of the "user" locations. As posted by another poster, I opened the desktop "user" and right clicked/properties for each library folder to change it's location to the D Data drive (change drive letter/create folder/move files). Didn't lose any files at all but one thing that's strange, the default "user" name in "C" magically changed to match the same name in "D". (always back up your stuff, can't trust this ****)

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  3. Anonymous
    2015-08-09T03:01:09+00:00

    Does anyone try to change the Value of the following in Registry:-

    /Computer/HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Volatile Environment/

    APPDATA

    HOMEPATH

    LOCALAPPDATA

    USERPROFILE

    Shall need to copy THE USER folder to designated location prior to restart?

    Never try, just an idea...

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more