Error: Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart when starting Windows

Anonymous
2012-01-11T19:00:07+00:00

Hello,

I receive the error “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when I start Windows. I have found the issue but I don’t see a good solution. What’s the best way to fix this issue?

Thanks

LD

Windows for home | Previous Windows versions | Windows update

Locked Question. This question was migrated from the Microsoft Support Community. You can vote on whether it's helpful, but you can't add comments or replies or follow the question.

0 comments No comments
Answer accepted by question author
Anonymous
2012-01-11T19:03:00+00:00

Hello LD,

This message usually indicates that the boot sector is damaged or missing. The boot sector is a region of your hard disk that contains information that is used to load your operating system. If a boot failure is detected when your PC is starting, you may receive this error message.

To resolve this issue, use the steps in the following KB article:

You receive Error message: “Bootmgr is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart” when starting Windows 

Hope this helps,

Bobby

Was this answer helpful?

100+ people found this answer helpful.
0 comments No comments

47 additional answers

Sort by: Most helpful
  1. Anonymous
    2014-01-18T07:38:19+00:00

    1. How to Boot Your Infected Computer Using an USB Stick When BOOTMGR Is Missing Displays

    If "BOOTMGR Is Missing" displays on you screen then I recommend that you watch this YouTube video which explains a solution that has allows users (it worked for me) to access all the files on my computer:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRjxHKN6p4

    In addition to your damaged computer you will also need another healthy computer to prepare the files needed on a USB stick with is used to boot up the damaged machine.

    2. Rufus and Hiren's Boot CD

    It involves using two programs called Rufus and Hiren's Boot CD. This method allowed me to access all of my Windows XP files (this same method can be used for more recent versions of Windows) by following the video and then booting with a USB plugged in and using the Mini XP option to boot the machine.

    3. Rufus

    Download and install Rufus.

    http://rufus.akeo.ie/

    4. Hiren's Boot CD

    Download Hiren's Boot CD 15.2

    http://www.hirensbootcd.org/download/

    Extract the .iso file using WinZip Evaluation version or similar software.

    5. YouTube Video Procedure

    Use the procedure in the Youtube video to use Rufus to put the Hiren's Boot CD .iso file on a USB stick

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnRjxHKN6p4

    6. Booting Infected Computer with USB Plugged In

    Start up you computer with the USB connected and press F2 at first screen.

    Change the boot order to that the USB sick is first in the list.

    Restart the computer with the USB in.

    The USB should kick in to action.

    Select Mini XP (or similar for different operating systems) and it will hopefully load allowing all your files to be accessed and backed up.

    7. Backing Up Files

    Plug another USB into the infected computer and copy files across and save these files on another computer.

    8. Scan For and Remove Infections Using Malwarebytes

    This webpage show how viruses can be removed using Malwarebytes which is included in Hiren's Boot CD.

    http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/41669/remove-nearly-any-virus-using-hirens-bootcd/

    Just follow steps 6 to 12.

    This should help some people.

    Regards

    James Cox

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  2. Deleted

    This answer has been deleted due to a violation of our Code of Conduct. The answer was manually reported or identified through automated detection before action was taken. Please refer to our Code of Conduct for more information.


    Comments have been turned off. Learn more

  3. Anonymous
    2014-01-06T20:43:48+00:00

    When tryint to use the recovery partition of the HP pavilion dv7 the automated process first wipes the "C" hard drive. This is why you are getting the Bootmgr missing message... that file has been erased along with everything else on your "C" hard drive.

    There is apparently a glitch when trying to load the operating system from the partition. That glitch results in the "error 1002".

    I am in the process of trying to get HP to react to this problem, which is a manufacturing defect, either with the software (probably) or hardware (though I can't see how a hardware problem could cause this, I also can't rule it out as a possibility).

    There is nothing you can do except get a CD or DVD that can boot your system. Even if you had made the recovery CD as HP recommends, I have seen MANY instances on the internet where these recovery CDs are also failing.

    While I am going through the process of forcing HP to do something I will likely order their recovery CD package to get the computer up and running... but I have also run into posts about the HP recovery CDs failing in this same manner.

    Good luck.

    Whether or not you get your laptop to work again, you should file an FTC complaint and maybe get a recall or company-paid-for-fix for all the Pavilion dv7 and dv6 notebook owners that are still out there struggling with this problem or yet to struggle with this problem.

    Michael Polidori

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments
  4. Anonymous
    2013-12-02T19:11:34+00:00

    Bobby, when I press F8 I hear a clicking sound and the menu will not start up...any suggestions

    Was this answer helpful?

    0 comments No comments